Thread: Enlarged uterus

Enlarged uterus

I had an ultrasound last week to rule out fibroids. The sonographer said everything looked lovely and healthy. The one thing she did say that's worried me is that I had an enlarged uterus. She said 'but it's probably within normal range for someone who's had 3 children'.

I've since been silly and googled it. I have heavier periods recently and small clots. My gp wasn't concerned as my smear was fine but I insisted on a scan, which in the end he agreed I needed incase I had fibroids.

Can a uterus be large because of having children? Everything I've read is very scary:((( I'm seeing my gp Friday for the scan results.

Re: Enlarged uterus

Not sure but I would wait and see the doc.

I have a distorted uterus because of fibroids but no-one seems worried about it so you are probably the same

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I think I'm just worried because the scan showed nothing was wrong so it's not like it's fibroids causing it to be enlarged.

Probably having the children has done it then

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

That is what the sonographer said, but silly me googled it and read that it shouldn't be enlarged.

Savannah - the sonographer said "lovely and healthy" - what more can you ask for honey?

I am due to have my review scan this week to see how my little uterine family of cysts and fibroids are coming along (absolutely petrified!!) and would be delighted to be told they were not there! My GP did say to me though when I was stressing about their existence "well what did you expect them to find in there for a woman of your age" and then gave me a hug !

I guess what I am saying is that after 3 kids it probably is a common occurence but I am no doc.

Good luck with your appt at the docs.

Macc Noodle
    xxxx

Well I saw my GP today, I've been referred to the gynaecologist. Apparently all is not ok, no fibroids could be seen but my uterus is 'bulky'. They have no idea why so I need to be referred. Not what I was expecting at all, after the sonographer said all was fine:(

I'm dreading it, I am dreading what they might do and what it could be.

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:33 ----------

If anyone has had a similar result from a scan i'd like to hear about it, I've a very long wait to see gynae it seems.

Savannah

I would not worry too much - there is a condition called adenomyosis (spelling may be dodgy) but unless it is causing you problems,it usually resolves itself at menopause.

If causing pain and heavy periods then a hysterectomy provides a complete solution.

Xxxxx

Thank you.

I guess I'm just concerned as I was told by the sonographer all was ok, yet my GP isn't happy I've a 'bulky uterus'. It's the long wait to see gynae which isn't nice and I'm dreading what tests they might want to do to me:(

I googled enlarged uterus after my scan, thinking it wouldn't be anything to be concerned about and uterine cancer flagged up. I don't usually worry about cancer but I guess that's a little concern to me now. I know it's bound to be fibroids hiding in the uterine wall or possible endo, but it's the not knowing right now.

I'm only 32, I'd rather avoid a hysterectomy. I also don't know how bad periods have to be to be classed as severely heavy. Mine are coming every 27-29 days, used to be always 32-33. They are heavy 1-3 days, but mainly first 2, with gushes whenever I stand up after sitting, thick dark mucusy blood, teeny tiny little clots on those days are sometimes present. I dont flood a pad, usually a gush marks the centre and i change my pad for hygiene reasons. After that, days 4-6 it's smears of light red blood, then day 7-8 it tails off brown and it stops.

Thread Information