Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: doctor receptionist :-(

doctor receptionist :-(

So now i feel really selfish, 2 weeks ago i went to the doctors and asked if he would refer me to the local mental health clinic, he was really nice and understanding and said he would make some phone calls, it was the jubilee weekend so would have to wait until after that.

Anyhow 2 weeks passed and i hadnt heard anything so i called up the doctors to ask if the referal had been sent, she said no and would speak to the doctor, today i have had a phone call from the receptionist who in a patronising voice said "doctor has asked me to call you regarding some help you feel you need" i am already embarassed about this and she has said that i had a choice and doctor thinks it would benefit me to be refered to a new service of councelling they are volunteer councellors instead of the mental health service. I said that i preffered to go to the mental health clinic instead and she made me feel selfish, but just think that i would receive better treatment in a proper nhs mental health clinic rather than a group of volunteer councellors,

what are your thoughts do you think their would be any difference, perhaps its a cost thing.

thanks for reading x

Re: doctor receptionist :-(

I'm not sure on what would be best for you but I can certainly say you are in no way selfish. It takes courage to ask for help.
    Dr's receptionists are famously patronising and nasty so don't let this put you off!
    X

She was probably just doing what the doctor told her. I used to be a dr receptionist and I was nice but sometimes drs put you in a difficult position as regards patients. Remember doctors are the receptionists bosses and have to do what they are told> For what its worth I think you are right and wanting the proper team.

Think it is terrible that the receptionist called you & not the doctor. The doctor should have discussed these options with you, not just failed to refer you. I do think cost is a big factor. During over 7 years I have never been offered NHS counselling - I was given a leaflet for a private counsellor, but money was too much of an issue. I did attend group therapy, which was helpful, but did not really resolve much. Good luck. Don't feel selfish, you have to take what you can to help you get well.

Hiya. Not sure where you are based but I am in Hampshire.
    My doctor referred me for this counselling for my health anxiety and it was AMAZING!!!! Best thing ever! I am not cured but am soooo much better!
    Take it up, try it out. They were absolutely lovely and you can have as many sessions as you need. And it won't go down as a mental health record, which it would if you were referred to mental health.
    I can only say positive things. Our service was called iTalk and it was fantastic!

so if you have a mental health record this is bad? will it affect anything in my life eg, will i have social workers etc... im worried about having my kids took away now :-( ive already been through the mental health clinic a few years ago so to do it twice might ring some alarm signals? x

You do not need to worry about them taking your kids away.

They would only take action if they felt you were a danger to yourself or your children - and in that eventuality it would be for the best until you were better.

When I hady CBT I was very wary of the questions I was asked until the therapist explained it all to me

So don't worry

Where in hampshire is this service

Joy

Hi I am a GP receptionist - try to be a nice one - for 24 years! You get good and bad I'm afraid but Joy is right the Drs put loads of responsiblity on us - but she had no right to speak to you like that. I think you have done the right thing and you are not being selfish - volunteer counsellors for goodness sake! what's the use of that - at least the Mental Health Team can refer you on if needs be.

Remember the Doctor is the boss at the end of the day - we are paid by them.

Hope you hear something soon.

Laura

Nobody will take your children from you social services would have to think they were in real danger to do that I know I worked in nursery with children on the "at risk register" even then they work with parents giving support rather than take children away. As for not wanting it on records sometimes for work it can be helpful if they know as there is strict guidelines to follow to help get you back to work without causing you more stress. xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information