Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back on Fluoxetine for depression - now desperately anxious

Re: Back on Fluoxetine for depression - now desperately anxious

I'm so sorry that my post has made you feel anxious - a lesson learnt for me be careful what you post! I have recently done a mindfulness course based on the book: "the mindful way through depression" & I think a similar approach is sometimes used for anxiety. Whatever medication we are on I think we all benefit from trying to learn strategies to cope with these feelings and help build confidence. At least the advice on this forum was right & the side effects did pass. Some people suggested I asked for another medication short term to help with the side effects of the fluoxetine, but (like you) I tend to be quite sensitive to drugs, so I steered away from that. Very best wishes to you.

Thanks Laura!

My anxiety is not that bad - I do not really have Paniac attacks and my depression is not that bad either.

This why I am feeling this is not a good idea for me at the time and I thinking about not continuing. It makes me feel MORE nervous and shakey! My fingers on my right hand feel numbish and I go from feeling "keyed up" to feeling kind of drowsy.

Before I just felt anxious with mostly inner "discomforts" like tightness in chest.

I hope my taking one pill didn't screw me up even further.

How long does it take for one 10 mg to leave your system?

Hi - Prozac has a very long half life - stays in the body longer than any other SSRI - but one 10mg would not do any harm - would say around 3/4 days - but just guessing. When you feel depressed and anxious and it is affecting one's life - then you know you need medication.

Hope you'll feel better soon

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by LAURA48 View Post
    Hi - Prozac has a very long half life - stays in the body longer than any other SSRI - but one 10mg would not do any harm - would say around 3/4 days - but just guessing. When you feel depressed and anxious and it is affecting one's life - then you know you need medication.

Hope you'll feel better soon

Laura
    Omg, 3 to 4 days for ONE pill really?? Now, I am depressed!!

I'm sure you won't feel this bad for that long. Please don't worry too much - it is a low dose (I'm not sure you can get capsules less than 20mg in the UK). Some of this reaction may be due to anxiety about taking it. Keep cool, you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pudie View Post
    I'm sure you won't feel this bad for that long. Please don't worry too much - it is a low dose (I'm not sure you can get capsules less than 20mg in the UK). Some of this reaction may be due to anxiety about taking it. Keep cool, you'll be fine.

Thank you Pudie! I really appreciate the tips! I feel a bit better now. Checked my blood sugar and it is fine - (feeling shakey etc could mean low blood sugar so that is sort of freaky too - but I always eat something to fix that - that normally doesn't happen to me though). I got very hungry so I am munching on some popcorn now. That will be good if this makes me more hungry because when I am anxious I don't eat and I am too skinny! I need to gain some weight!

I am actually in the US. My dr. prescribed me 10mg to take for first week and than I am to go to 20mg. I am pretty I would never need more than that because like I said mine really isn't too bad. For me, I am just tired of feeling tired and exhausted from being anxious. I used to be a very high energy person so that is difficult for me. Two years ago I was dx'd with genetic Type 2 diabetes and that also makes me tired. I was feeling better once my BGs were under control but the last month the anxiety has been worse. A friend of mine committed suicidie about a month ago. But I have alot of other things happened to me (my own health problems, realtionship problems, loss of job, all my money) in the last six years - so perhaps it just build all up. Such bad timing! (right before I finally find a job). Lots of changes and bad times for me. I am usually good at handling changes but too much is too much you know?

You are right that I probably have anxiety about taking this too. I didn't expect anything to happen right away - I thought it would be like taking a vitamin - I didn't expect it to hit me so fast. I have a very sensitive nervous system too. After ending up in the ER when I took some sulfur drugs makes me nervous about any new anything. I have never been a "pill" person.

I will be monitoring how I feel for the rest of the day - esp. to see if I sleep or not tonight!!! I wonder if the coffee made it worse too - no caffefine tomorrow!!

Take care - you will get through these bad times. Life can seem so unfair & painful. Thank goodness you have a new job on the horizon. Life should start changing for the better. x

Quote Originally Posted by Pudie View Post
    Take care - you will get through these bad times. Life can seem so unfair & painful. Thank goodness you have a new job on the horizon. Life should start changing for the better. x
    Thank you Pudie! You have been very helpful and kind! I know it will get better. I am trying to stay positiive and not freak out so much. At leasts I know the warning signs if I AM allergic to this! I hate that long list of "side effects" on the pamphlet they give you - 4 pages! I wonder if some of those "fatal" ones have ever happened to anyone! They are probably just trying to protect their insurance policy.

I hope the "speedy" side effects are gone before I start my new job!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information