Thread: went to doc about night sweats, got a ecg!!

Exclamation went to doc about night sweats, got a ecg!!

Hi everyone
    I posted on monday about waking through the night, sweating, really hot and a racing heartbeat. I made an appointment for the doctor which was for today but it never happened again and i slept ok monday night and last night, so i put it down to a random hot flush, but i decided to go to the doc anyway.
    while sitting in the waiting room for my appointment i became aware that my heart was racing round about the 120 mark, i had to wait a good ten mins for my appointment and during that time it didnt slow down at all and i was feeling a bit sweaty/hot (was hot outside tho)
    so i go through and i say im there for something else but right now my heart felt like it was racing, so she takes my bp but does not mention the reading and i cant see the machine, and then my pulse and she says - yes its definitely racing alright and then told me to get on the bed and she would go get the ECG machine. OMG only then did i start to feel anxious!!!
    Lying on the bed i could still feel it was racing, then she hooked me up and did the test. She said it was fast but the reading was normal i.e even though it was fast it was beating in time and regular. She asked how often i got this and i would say its maybe a couple of times a week.
    She said she would order me another 24hr holter test as its been 3 years since i had one done.
    Now she did say that it may be caused by anxiety or it may not, but it was not life threatening and mostly its just annoying when it happens, she said if im getting that twice a week then maybe i should be on a beta blocker.

Im now anxious about this, i know millions of people are on beta blockers but i have a phobia of meds and this is just terrifying me now.
    Because my mum died of a heart attack 4 years ago (age 54) and last month my uncle (mums brother) had a heart attack (age 58,he survived) i am just 100% petrified that something sinister is starting in me and im feeling very very depressed tonight
    :(

Re: went to doc about night sweats, got a ecg!!

Can't diagnose you obviously, but I do know that a racing heart is a very common symptom of lots of things (eg anxiety, menopause, thyroid issues) and often harmless. I would see how you get on with the 24 hour monitor.

The All Experts cardiology web site has lots of good info and cardiologists who answer questions.

http://en.allexperts.com/sitesearch....ogy-964&sdn=en

Thread Information