Thread: Counselling - Coping Techniques

Counselling - Coping Techniques

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone has tried couselling in a bid to try and combat their HA?

Because my current bout of HA is probably the worst it's ever been and has been causing me panic attacks I thought I should tell my boss in case I had a panic attack at work.

I couldn't bring myself to tell her what was causing my panic attacks as I don't know why but I always feel really embarrassed telling people I suffer from HA as I'm convinced they will just class me as some crazy person.

Anyway she mentioned that our employers have a 24/7 helpline with counsellors who will deal with any issues from health and wellbeing through to financial worries.

So she gave me the number and I just plucked up the courage to ring. A lady called me back within 10 minutes and was lovely, she spoke to me on the phone for nearly 30 minutes and said she thinks that some counselling combined with learning, coping techniques may well help me with my HA and said she will get a counsellor to call me within the next few days and set up some appts.

Apparently my work will cover the cost and everything is confidential so I though I may as well give it a try.

I just wondered if anyone else has tried this route and if so did it help in anyway?

thanks x

Re: Counselling - Coping Techniques

No, but I know a friend who saw a counsellor when her marriage was breaking up and she was very stressed. She found the CBT aspects helpful. It is easy enough to read CBT books and do the exercises but I am sure having someone explain it and listen will be more helpful.

Re: Counselling - Coping Techniques

Munchlet

It is good to hear that your boss is really supportive and that your workplace will be able to assist.

I know that my old workplace was simialr, unfortunately they only covered a general counsellor rather than an anxiety therapist and the therapist was who I found most helpful. But it may depend, if there is a counsellor who has anxiety experience then you might be very lucky!

I think having long term strategy is helpful becasue you do have to do HA treatment in different steps - you know removing triggers (agreeing to not google or watch health programmes) and work on bringing your HA levels down. Exercises to be in the now and focus on things around you rather than on YOU are also helpful, so I am sure they will be helpful for you.

Thread Information