Thread: Let's focus on the facts

Let's focus on the facts

Hi All,

Sorry this so long - but I hope it helps.

I think we all forget these facts when we are feeling anxious and need reminding now and again!

Here goes............

1. Panic is very uncomfortable but is not dangerous; While panic may be one of the most fearful and dreadful experiences you ever had ...IT WILL NOT give you a: heart attack, give you a stroke, stop you from breathing, choke you, make you loose control or make you go crazy. The sooner you believe these simple facts, with 100% conviction, the sooner you will begin to recover.
    2. Panic will not make you faint; While you faint for a variety of reasons that may have nothing to do with panic attacks, (heat, exhaustion, dehydration, poor nutrition, etc.) panic WILL NOT make you faint. When you faint your blood pressure must go down, when your having a panic attack your blood pressure is going sagely up, not down.
    3. You are still in control; The urge to escape from panic feelings can be so strong that you may believe that you could do something crazy to escape it. This is just a thought, the craziest thing you might do is try to leave, perhaps in a hurry. It may also feel as if you are out of balance, disoriented, and falling, this too is highly unlikely. People can and do function through panic attack, you can socialize, you can walk, run, drive cross-large streets, exercise and travel alone. You can do all these activities safely, but that doesn''t mean it''s easy.
    4. You will not go crazy; while panic may produce a variety of strange sensations (disorientation, derealization/depersonalization, hyperventilation, overwhelming urges to escape, etc.) it will NOT Make you -"go crazy, loose your sanity or never go back to normal".
    5. Panic will pass; most panic attacks actually last less than a couple of minutes. While you might still feel general anxiety or fatigue after the peak of the panic attack passes, with the help of some paced breathing and rational thinking the peak itself should not last long. You can get past a panic attack and relatively comfortable again WITHOUT ESCAPING the situation. Stop and sit down, lean on a wall, find a quieter spot and focus on your paced breathing, then try to refocus on distractions and go on.
    6. Panic attacks DO NOT cause strokes of heart attacks; Unless you have been diagnosed with a medical condition, such as a serious heart or circulatory disease (MVP usually is not a serious risk), panic disorder sufferers are at no more of a risk of dying of strokes or heart attack than anyone else. No matter how fast your heart seems to be beating during a panic attack, you do NOT need to check your pulse or blood pressure.
    7. Odd sensations don''t necessarily mean you are sick; good health doesn''t mean perfect health. The body can produce a variety of strange sensations especially after periods of stress. Non-dangerous sensations can come from hundreds of things; temperature changes, changes in lighting, spicy foods, gas, not eating, caffeine, colds/flu, muscle strains, fatigue and of course stress. You don''t have to keep track of every odd sensation, most of them will come and go without having to explain them or treat them. Treat yourself with care mentally and physically, learn way to decrease stress and if some unexplained sensation persists for weeks then speak to your doctor.
    8. Many panic attacks do not have to happen; you can avoid many panic attacks if you can stop anticipating and catastrophizing (exaggerating). Anticipatory panic attacks can be brought on by focusing too much on the future (what ifs), focusing too much on the body (sensations) and then exaggerating how immediately dangerous it all is. Stay in the present and believe in your ability to cope.
    9. Most people are not against you; of course you cannot always count on the friendliness of friends and strangers, but at worst you are no more than a phone call away from another person. Sometimes if you simply start talking to people to distract yourself, or tell them your are ill or anxious, many people will take a minute to talk or help...if

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for those words of wisdom. I'm going to print it out and put it on my fridge door.

Thank you

Mandyxx

Thanks! I just printed it out too.

hiya,
    thanks for a great list. i am going to print it out aswell to help me with my panic/anxiety.
    the only point i do not totally agree with tho is number 2. i have fainted from panic attacks and was actually admitted to hospital in january with this. at first they thought it was epilepsy, but on having a mantle of tests i was told i had anxiety induced posterial hypotension.

the consultant i was under did say it was a rare occurance to faint from pa's but not unheard off.

pp

A great post, Sharon!

Ray
    http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Hi everyone,

I am glad it helps....................I read the list everyday for reassurance.

Sharon

Y'know Sharon,

I know that everything you said is correct. When I have the right attitude,I don't rarely have the attacks and when I do get them, they are not full blown. I am able to calm down and prevent them from escalating. The only time I have trouble is when there is something going on that makes me extremely edgy. There was an incident the other night that was really not good and would normally have thrown me into a panic, but I managed to remain calm. I know it can be done. The more we think about what you have just written, the better we should be able to cope and someday recover. Thank's for the reminder.

Mia

Thread Information