Thread: Imipramine/Clomipramine

Imipramine/Clomipramine

Does anyone have any experience with either of these medications for panic attacks?

I have tried the SSRI type medications and am hoping imipramine will work. My shrink speaks very highly of it.

Re: Imipramine/Clomipramine

Id also be interested to know this as this is my next med as venlafaxine really isn't effective for me xx

Hi Nicola - I mentioned the Clomipramine for OCD to my psychiatrist last time I saw him and he said NO WAY quite abruptly - when I challenged him - he said the side effects were too bad and that I would not be able to tolerate? as this drug is supposed to be excellent for OCD? he want Effexor? that is not used as a rule for OCD?

As regards Imipramine ask Dan - he is on it as seems to be getting on well with it.

Hope you are ok

Laura x

---------- Post added at 10:37 ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 ----------

sorry Nicola read the post wrong - Dan is asking for info?? It is meant to be good for anxiety - as has a long history.

Hiya - yes I am asking for info - just to reassure me more than anything.

I started off one week on 25mg, and week 2, on 50mg - the panic does seem better. Lately I have been better - but I won't celebrate just quite yet.

I am on duloxetine and asked my shrink if it does anything for panic, and he was like not really...

I asked him what side effects and he said they should be relatively minor - dry mouth, constipation etc. Laura I think these drugs are before your doctors time.

So far it gets a thumbs up, but it is early days and I won't be counting my chickens yet.

Dan

It has certainly done more than 12 weeks of citalopram, 4 of fluoxetine, and 2 weeks of amitriptyline.

Hi Dan, I took clomipramine for about seven years and initially it worked very well for PAs. Unfortunately I was never able to take much of a dose so as my life stresses increased, the panic came back. Definitely worth a go though in my opinion so good luck x

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

Sounds promising dan, ill try anything to get rid of this panic and unfortunatly ven isnt helping much x x

Just a little update 1 week on 25mg and 2 on 50mg and the panic attacks are better. Going up to 100mg p/d which I requested.

Hope I'm not speaking too soon, but it definitely gets a thumbs up from me.

Clomipramine is a old one but one of best i hear
    for ocd its the top one the usa use it lots
    god bless

My shrink refers to imipramine as the gold standard. He uses it second or third line due to side effects and easy to commit suicide on them.

I think they have to be started on a really low dose and increase slowly. 50mg/d is meant to be effective for panic so starting on 10mg for a week or two then increasing over 2 weeks wouldn't be a bad idea.

I started on 25mg every second day increasing to 50mg after 2 weeks up to 100mg in days hopefully.

Thread Information