Thread: Phased return to work: confused

Phased return to work: confused

I'm very confused. I've even given up going over things to see if I can work out whats going on. Now I'm trying to think of that little bit of forgotten info that'll make everything clear :( Not very useful, I know.

All was going well, I was slowly taking on more work responsibilities and increasing the hours (maybe too slowly?) and was getting great support. Then it all went wrong and I've no idea why. I know I've been told that

- They might reduce my pay - not great but at least it would allow me to concentrate on getting better.
    - Everyones struggling with workloads (except me as I'm on reduced hours)
    - A few weeks ago, people were questioning if I was fit to work at all
    - Now they want me to increase my hours, beyond the hours the doctor has put on the certificate.
    - I feel I'm being either discluded from discussions or demoted (in most ways except by job title)
    - It seems to be my fault that my boss and I haven't been communicating very well (she's been really busy so I've not wanted to bother her and she's not been around much when I'm at work).

No-one seems to be bothered about how I am, it all seems to be about how many hours they can get from me. I don't think I'm very popular.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? To be honest, I'm fed up of trying to work out what I've done wrong. Also, if I'm stressed, I mis-interpret what people are mean when their talking to me, so I'm not even sure if what I'm thinking is right or not.

Re: Phased return to work: confused

Hi ts,

Sorry to hear you are having a bit of a rough time atm. I'm not sure if I can answer your post but just a bit of info from someone who has been where you are now may help

I went back to work on a phased return at the end of January after 3 months off sick on full pay. My phase was a gradual return to FT hours over a 6 week peroid. My line manager was happy for me to do this at a pace that suited me. I was very up & down but keen to get back into the swing of it as soon as possible. Looking back, I did 'push' myself and felt a little like a fish out of water at the time, it wasn't easy, but I have to say it has helped in my recovery to get some 'normality' back into my life. My colleagues were very supportive and this helped me immensely. 6 months later, they are still allowing me to arrive later in the mornings and I have not yet resumed all of my normal duties. They don't seem to be putting me under any pressure at the moment, but I feel sure that day will come soon! I have received full pay throughout this period, and get time off to attend ongoing regular doctors appointments and weekly CBT sessions.

Firstly, your employers have a 'duty of care' towards you so the have to try to accomodate any changes necessary to help you in your recovery.

Secondly, the sick pay situation varies from employer to employer, you would have to check with your HR department or your contract of employment for clarification. It can also be affected by your length of service with this company and how long you were off sick initially.

Have you been to see the work Occupational Health doctor? I found them to be very impartial, knowledgable, and to the point ie. they have your best interest at heart and can suggest ways in which your employer can help you to ease yourself back into work. Your employer has a duty of care to follow the points set out in the report.

Keep copies of all communication (emails, letters, doctors appointments etc) as you never know, you may need these as evidence at a later stage.

You should not be discriminated against under the Equalities Act....mental health is a bit of a 'grey' area but you would probably be covered if you meet certain criteria. In any case, you still should not be disadvantaged or discriminated against because of your illness.

If you work for a small company, you may be better off having a chat with Citizens Advice or ACAS to check your rights.

Hats off to you for getting yourself back to work and I hope you can reach a happy resolve with your employment issues. Good luck!

Take care, Kitti

Hi, wow that sounds so difficult. They should be more accomodating ... is there a human resources manager you could bring this up with? I feel like the way you are being treated may be against some rule or something, although I am not familiar with the laws outside of the US (or inside the US sometimes for that matter lol)

Many thanks for your replies. I did read them as they were posted but wasn't really in a state to reply.

The union is helping me and the GP has signed me off sick. I'm now freaking out about getting back to work and the rest of it but am starting to calm down. I'm even starting to feel a bit tired which is a very good sign.

I think that anxiety mixed with the depressive stuff has been an invisible hole and I didn't notice I'd fallen in. I guess it'll take a while to get out of it but at least I've now got most of the support I need (GP wants me to get a different sort of therapy than I've been having - thats Monday's job).

I'm not through this yet, at all. However, so far I think I can say that if anyone is reading this and going through something similar - speak to someone in detail about whats going on. You may well find that they see things very differently to you.

I'll still accept any advice anyone has to give. My guess is that it won't be an easy ride for me.

Thread Information