Thread: agoraphobia please help

agoraphobia please help

ive had agoraphobia on and off for 9 years but this time its been nearly 2 years since ive been out and i just cant seem to find the bottle to even attemptto go out, i used to have it but its gone and i have no idea how to kick start it again anyone got any ideas plz
    love lisa:(

lisa xxxxxx

Hi Lisa

Welcome to the site, sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. You have come to the right place to get help, there are so many supportive people here. Cant really give you much advice about agoraphobia as only suffered it whilst i first went of sick from work, didnt feel safe away from home, but a lot of that was i felt i was in a constant panic attack.

You should go to the Panic section and read Darren's post Daily Report .. A little further every day ... Hospital,it shows how positive and how well he has done in only a few weeks, which goes to show with determination and courage it can be overcome, even if its just getting out of the house and walking 100 yrs from your front door. Let us know how you are getting on. Take care.

Sal xxxx

hi lisa,

as we dont know you personally,we can only give you general advice. ime sure you must have read up about agoraphobia,fight/flight etc..well,for a start i would suggest you think about alleviating the underlying anxiety,which is the root cause of most emotional problems..stress..panic..phobias.
    theres a lot you can do,to help yourself...exercise (even indoors,at home)...a change of diet,meg will help with that...cut out caffein...cut down on alcohol/smoking/chocs...drink lots mineral water...use the bach rescue,in the water...take vitaminB complex...and omega3 oil...get some good relaxation cds...bath by candle light etc etc.

all this should help give you agood base to start working on the agoraphobia...then perhaps a mild medication from your GP,combined with CBT will be of help.
    the only way to beat this phobia,is to accept it for what it is..the brains memory file putting positive thoughts,to the back,and giving you negative thoughts instead..so slowly we have to teach the brain..to put its filing cabinet in order...we have to snap out of any negative thoughts,as they come into our head,and think of positive thoughts,such as our kids,anything that makes us laugh,maybe something funny you saw on television..as long as we change our thoughts,the harder it will be for bad thoughts to come in,and in time ,the bad thoughts will give up.

little steps...are a must...see darrens post...find someone you trust,and just walk outside,stop every ten steps,concentrate on your breathing...go back home...next day,try another few steps,but you must concentrate on your breathing...do this on a regular basis...if you feel bad,just walk a few steps,at least you tried...when youve walked as far as possible that day,stop,concentrate on your breathing...get your friend to stand five paces in front of you...and make yourself walk those few steps..IT WONT KILL YOU,but it will help you.

hope this helps...best wishes...bryan.

Hiya Lisa

I was exactly the same as you last year (although my agoraphobia was months not years) so I know where you are coming from.

The way I did it was to just spend time in the garden at first, then just open the front door for a few days, then I walked to the end of the driveway and gradually each day pushed myself a little further, just a few houses, then far enough so my house was just out of site etc. Eventually I made it to the shops at the end of the road and although I was shaking, the sense of achievement almost outweighed the bad feelings.
    The more I did it, the less fear I felt and now I can walk up to the high street pretty much no problems, just a few unwanted thoughts that I can pretty easily kick into place.
    Its taken a lot of determination but im nearly at the stage of having a 'normal life' now!
    I think the motto 'small steps' and 'practice makes perfect' really do apply to us in this instance. I know its hard to do, but for me, the longer I left it the harder it became to get on and try if you know what I mean?

feel free to email me anytime if you want to chat or anything!

Take care
    love Sarah
    xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution

Lisa,
    Reading your post has made me feel...god this is hard, I dont want to say anything negative or sound too down & gloomy.

Basically where you are now could so easily be me. I have suffered (to varying degrees) from panic attacks which developed into agoraphobia for nearly 12yrs and I wont kid you, it is a constant battle. Obviously you have good periods where you give it little thought but are aware that it is still there in the back ground. Other times you think about it 24/7 and it rules your entire life to the point where you dont even WANT to go out let alone CAN go out.

I am struggling like you at the moment although I am managing short journeys away from home ie 5min walk to take my son to school, 5min drive to tesco for brief shopping trips, short drives to get petrol, milk or post letter etc.

Basically my advice to you is to get a hobby or interest that totally absorbs you so you aren't always thinking about this problem. I find if I dont try and busy myself with bits & bobs then my mind automatically focuses on my problem and there you have the vicious circle.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Caroline
    x

I was taught to take very very small steps.
    First working on leaving the room, then when I was comfortable with that I moved on to getting to the front door, then the step, then over the step..

I find that colouring in helps a lot, I have more pencils and books than the kids - lol

Love, light and Best wishes
    Liz xxx
    With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
    The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

Dear Lisa,

You need to decide that you want to start getting over it and only you can do this bit !!

Think about what you'd like to do when you did get out there again and find some treat to aim towards. If you don't have/make a reason to go out it makes it so much harder.

I know one family who never bought a favourite food so getting out to buy it was the reason. It worked especially with subliminal advertising thrown in.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

Thread Information