Thread: To start or not to start....help!!!

To start or not to start....help!!!

I'm quite new on here and need some advice please.

I've been prescribed citalopram for anxiety and it's been sat in the cupboard for ages....too scared to start it

I seem to suffer with bouts of anxiety whereby I will be okay for a few weeks and then it flares up again.....possibly hormonal. In the past year I have taken propranolol which seems to help, but each time as I've felt better weaned myself off it.

I'm currently suffering with anxiety again, which for me starts with a panic attack followed by days of feeling achy (almost like I have the flu) and extreme tiredness.

I am now contemplating starting the citalopram, as so fed up with feeling okay for a few weeks, then feeling awful again......I need to give my body a rest. I've take seroxat about ten years ago and was absolutley fine on it, but after reading so many bad experiences with citalopram it's really put me off. We have a holiday to Spain booked in four weeks time and I'm worried that it's not enough time to get used to the medication. Im wondering whether to restart the propranolol until after my holiday and then start the citalopram when I get back.

I would appreciate any advice.

SLBxx

Re: To start or not to start....help!!!

Best advice I can give you is to give it a go, It's worked miracles for me but I'm not gonna lie to you the initial SE's were hard but remember some people get no problems while others take the full hit.

You'll know after a week if you are going to suffer with SE's so give it a try as you can always stop before your hols if they are too much.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Mick.

My advice would be to not take it to be honest and use self help and CBT to get you back on track

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks for your replies.

I tried CBT last year and was told by the therapist that she didn't think in my case that it was worth my while, as I don't avoid situations and need to rethink my train of thought etc.

My problem is I can go for weeks without any problems and then suddenly I have a surge of uncontrollable anxiety. It comes from nowhere!! It's been so very difficult to get my head round what is happening to me. I've kept a diary and can relate most of my problem to my monthly cycle. The dr has suggested that I am perimenopausal. I have had blood tests and my hormone levels were not right, but then a few weeks later they were okay again. This apparently is the problem with trying to test hormone levels, as they can change quite dramatically throughout the day. I have battled with this for 18 months and at the moment I'm at my wit's end. I spend hours on the internet trying to find an underlying condition that may be causing the anxiety. My thyroid levels came back as normal, but I am not convinced, as I have bouts of extreme tiredness and aching muscles, my skin is dry,hair and eyebrows have thinned.....just some of the symptoms of a thryoid problem. Has anyone paid and had a private consultation with a dr? I feel that I am getting nowhere and it's now affecting my home/family life.

My CBT therapist said the same, she doesnt know what to do with me either as I dont fit the mould ie go out all the time and face it.
    Shes referring me for relaxation therapy instead

As for seeing a private DR i dont know altho seeing a private shrink at the present as NHS ones were useless, I know there are private GP practices about tho

Joy

Hello :-) my advise would be to go back on propranolol only because im on them at the mo and touch wood its going ok. A few weeks ago i started citalapram 10mg and i got severe side effects and just after 3 days i came off them, its took me till now to feel just about ok. I used to be on them i few years ago and they was fine i suppose you dont know till you try them hun, everyones different. Me personaly wouldnt take them before your holls.
    Take care sweet :-)

Hi
    SSRI drugs are slow working this means that you would usually have to keep taking them for some time even if u feel better, SSRI will balance the chemicals of the brain slowly this means it will make u feel better before the job is finished. so it might be good for you to carry on taking your propranolol for a period of months before stopping.

However I've been taking cit for around 10/11 months starting on 20mg moving up to 30mg then 40mg. I suffer low mood depression and anxiety which means i used to wake up in the morning then just lay there feeling like S**t for hours thinking about wanting my life to end and feeling like i was constantly being watched by people.

I never was a fan of taking pills for my depression but decided to without knowing what to expect. On my first day after about an hour or two of taking the pill i felt full of energy almost as if i had taken E, if any of you know what thats is like, thought this only lasted a day and it took around a week or two then the side effects kicked in. I will be honest theses were not nice apart from the strange dreams. I woke with cramp in my legs unable to sleep and my depression and mood got lower and at random needed to go for a dump (diahroa) . ( ask your doctor for sleeping pills and quinn to get you through these effects) SideEffects are different per person so look up what to expect if you have not already.

After the first month i began to feel more positive and clear headed and the side effects went, except for the mad dreams but i enjoy these.

i rencently had some knocks which made me feel low again not what i expected after 11 months but i have also recently given up smoking cannabis After smoking from when i wake up till i went to bed, this ammount would have lowered the effects of the cit so i think the low mood was from the cit rekicking in like when u start the taking cit it can make things worse for a couple of weeks (such as bring out my low mood and anxiety in me) but this means that the drug is working.

thats my experience and i will continue to take for a couple of months before lowering my dose to come off and see how i feel.

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your kind replies.

Just to update you all.........I started taking propranolol again on Monday - 30 mg. I have also been to see a kinesiologist this week too. They use muscle testing to detect an imbalances in your body. I was told that I still have a lot of primary reflexes as you would have as a baby. When they are out of sync it can cause all sorts of problems. The treatment is completely natural and does not involve any medication. After my session I felt completely calm and relaxed......I have felt much better since then too. Whether its a placebo effect, the propranolol or actually the kinesiology I don't know, but I have loads more energy, no aches and pains or surging anxiety running through me. I will keep you updated as I have a further session in a few weeks just as a follow up.

Take care everyone.xx

Thread Information