Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Several palpitations in a row?

Several palpitations in a row?

About a week ago I suffered from what I can describe as a heart thud. The other night, I got about 5-10 palpitations in a row! I normally suffer from palpitations, usually when I lay down, but never that many in a row. Is this normal? I'm really worried. I haven't had it since and I hope I don't :( I've had three ECG's done a while ago and they all came back fine, and I had an echocardiogram which came back fine too.

Any advice/reassurance would be great.

Re: Several palpitations in a row?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I had a look at that a little while ago actually to see if there was any information on this. It was reassuring to read that its not uncommon!

I googled a bit more, there was loads saying its dangerous :( but a lot of people get them regularly like this and their doctors and not concerned so I'm sure its ok. I normally deal with my palps fine and recognise them as a sign of anxiety, but have never had so many in a row without gaps inbetween them before. Was like my heart completely freaked out!

Hey JSP I've had this before, it can kinda give you a fright n it certainly isn't a nice sensation when it happens! However, given the tests you've had I'd hazard a guess your absolutey fine :-)

Speaking if tests, I'm also going for a echocardiogram soon, can you let mr know what there like?

---------- Post added at 02:50 ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 ----------

Me** damn autocorrect

I haven't had any since so I hope I never get palps like that again!

And the echocardiogram isn't a bad experience actually. You lay on a bed and are asked to remove your top, but are offered a gown to wear incase you're uncomfortable doing this. The lights are then turned off. There's a screen placed behind you which the person performing the echocardigram will be watching the whole time. They smother this cold gel over your chest, and then use this little handheld thing to scan your body with over the gel. They scan over your body, which can hurt a bit as they push in between your ribs quite hard and in your throat. The woman performing it asked me to breathe into my stomach and hold it hard, while she would press in the scanning thingy with force which was a bit uncomfortable too.

It only lasted about twenty minutes and I was on my way (the letter said it will take about an hour!). It took me a few weeks to get my results back though, but I think this was because the results were fine and was placed on low urgency.

I hope you have a good experience with it too. When are you going for the echo?

I am having another echo next week and it can be painful as they push quite hard and last time I came out bruised but it is nothing to worry about really. It is a bit more embarrassing for us ladies as we have to be topless of course but they do keep you covered up with the gown.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Mine is 17th July, I don't usually mind tests but tend to panic with it bring my heart, like I had an ECG s few month ago at the docs, I felt fine, no panic or anxiety or anything, but last month I had an appt with a cardiologist n had to have an ECG which led to me nearly having a panic attack (could b the fact the guy looked worried n done a retest)

Yeah I'm the same too. You'll be laying down on the hospital bed for a while so you will have time to relax. I suppose you could bring an iPod in or something and listen to music while the scan is taking place to keep your mind off it. I nearly fell asleep. I would have if it wasn't for the woman poking in the ribs haha.

Once I was in A&E having an ECG done, and she done it and looked so worried, then said she's going to do the test again! I was freaking out! But the doctor said my ecg was fine :S

Did you ever get a doctors opinion on this? I had this a couple days ago. I thought I was just lying in the wrong position since I have palpitations regularly, but when I sat up they continued. I thought I was dying. I am fine haven't had any since but now I'm worried about an underlying condition. I went to a cardiologist a few months ago wore a 24 hr monitor and was told everything was fine that I am too young to have problems. Would love to hear an update on this.

Hey, I'm new to the forum but thought I'd reply to your post. My health anxiety is v.specific (only about 1 thing really) so I can see clearly on other things. Just to let you know I have random sets of palpatations and attacks of chest pain (sometimes so bad I have to stop what I'm doing), this has been happenin for over 10 years and I've never givin it a second thought and am healthy (apart from my anxiety lol). Dr said probably just muscle spasms in my chest. So these things do happen to everyone else but they just don't attach any meaning to it. I know with anxiety sometimes u convince yourself that healthy people just dont experience such symptoms but they do. Hope this helps
    Last edited by Roadtobetter; 20-06-15 at 07:45.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information