Thread: So scared to start these....

So scared to start these....

Hi all,

Im sitting here with tears streaming down my face. I was prescribed these in jan for PA's and agoraphobia and as soon as I get near to being brave I see another post on here with someone that is suffering with SE's on these. I was on prozac about 6 years ago and they helped but the doctor wants me to take cit this time as he said it works better for anxiety. I had horrendous se's with prozac but only lasted 14 days where as on here im seeing cit can take months to feel better. Im so sick of crying and feeling agitated and not looking forward to anything I just cant seem to get the courage to start these...when you feel this bad the last thing you can face is to take something thats going to make you feel worse. Sorry for rambling on I just can see any light whichever way I turn.

Re: So scared to start these....

Hi Laura,

I'm sorry this is causing you so much worry.

It seems as though a number of people do have side effects from Citalopram, and probably are more likely to report that if they've felt bad. But then, the effects may just as well be from the actual condition they were prescribed for in many cases.

I can only speak from my own experience of 6 months building up to 40mg, is that I had minimal side effects, a very little nausea, that was it.
    Maybe just lucky, but I can't be the only one

Hope things work out for you, whatever you decide.

The SE's on Prozac are far, far worse than Citalopram in my experience Laura.

I had 4 bad days on these and then things started getting easier. I am on 20mg and they seem to be working now - I haven't had a panic attack for a week or so now.

Honestly, start the medication and let them do their thing - you will feel so much better for it in the long run!

Everyone is different, but if it helps, I took these and had no horrible side effects other than a bit of a dry mouth. It's difficult, but the only way to see is to take them unfortunately. Good luck to you,

Hi a few weeks ago I was in exactly your position and I really feel for you. When you are feeling at your lowest it is so hard to make the decision to take something that may have SEs.
    I was really scared when I took my first pill. I started on a low dose and built up from there, which I think helped to reduce the SEs. I just had to keep telling myself that if I did take them then each day I was one step closer to feeling better. The SEs (and you may not get any) are short term and given that you clearly feel pretty rough at the moment anyway then what do you have to lose?
    You do have to be brave but you will also feel proud that you have taken some positive action against your condition.
    I am 5 weeks in and feeling a lot better, the physical symptoms of anxiety have reduced and I am able to get out and about which is a real confidence boost.
    Big hugs, it will get better x

Thank you so so so much for your replies that 4 people more than ive ever seen on here that have had hardly any side effects this gives me hope, I want to start on 5mg but cant seem to cut the tablet in half without it crushing. Thank you all again lovely people so nice to hear that you are all feeling better. Noone deserves this xxx

I started on 20mg and the side effects were not even as bad as Prozac, plus I was withdrawing from Mirtazapine.

You'll be fine - good luck!

You can cut thetabs with a Stanleyblade..Or buy a pill cutter from chemist ...After a week increase to 10 mg...Gd luck...luvSuexx

I dread the vomiting as I've never been sick before and dread it happening. I've belched a lot and that wasn't nice. Also the diarrhoea puts me off too. Reading the side effects is stopping me from taking them. I hardly get s/e on meds, Prozac left me nausea 24/7 which I lasted a week on years ago

Well im on day 3 of a quarter of a tablet which is a masiveeeee thing for me believe me ! Had a little bit of anxiety and panic but its a step in the right direction which can only be a positive thing....I definately feel a bit happier anyway ! Thank you all again x

Thread Information