Thread: Citalopram and abnormal ECG -connection?? -before I panic! =/

Citalopram and abnormal ECG -connection?? -before I panic! =/

Hi there, thanks in advance for anyone who takes time to read this, I realise it's a bit lengthy! Please bare with!

I only just read the article about citalopram now being linked to abnormal heart rythyms and problems. I have been on citalopram for a year and 9 months approx, and taking 30mg for probably about a year.
    Before I started citalopram, I had been referred to a cardiologist for the second time. I'd had all the tests before (ecg, echo, 24 hr monitor) and evidently all had been fine. I'd never been told I had an 'abnormal' ECG before.

The second time I saw a cardiologist (a different one) he indicated that my ECG "didn't look normal" to him, but told me not to worry - I assumed it was just because my heartbeat was fast, which I was used to, so no big deal.
    It was a long time until I got all the tests done (I kept being ill and couldn't make it for the tests) but eventually I was dismissed. But when I had an exercise ECG the nurse told me the ECG was not normal for someone my age (I'm 26)
    I have since wondered whether it's possible that citalopram could have affected by ECG. And now I just read this article today about it being linked to heart things http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/93...epressant.html

Not having a good day physically today, so I know it's possible this info may get my anxiety up -I'm now just wanting to get tapered off this medication!
    I also didn't mention, the time when I was first told it was 'abnormal' I had taken propanolol 80mg a few days before, hadn't got on well and hadn't taken any more. Maybe both meds made my ECG look weird? Is this possible? I just can't work out why I was never told it was abnormal years before, and then it suddenly was!

Any thoughts on this subject??

Thanks ever so much.

Re: Citalopram and abnormal ECG -connection?? -before I panic! =/

Hi there

Did you read the updated posts about that article on here - it was something to do with high doses of Citalopram only

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi, no I actually read it when visiting an M.E site today! And then I came on here and found someone else had posted about it. I guess it just heightened my concerns again, didn't help I haven't been feeling good today! =/ Thanks for your response.

Well, I know that this article has appeared today but in the states this has been studied for a year. Needless to say there is still much doubt as to the validity of the findings. Either way, it specifically refers to long qt syndrome or an increased risk of this. An EKG will pick up abnormal qt intervals and this would raise alarm to a doctor. Your doctor would be much more instructive on this but the ' abnormal heart rhythm' is a very very rare but specific condition. Your cardiologist would certainly let you know if this was the case. I would not waste time worrying.

But for peace of mind, I would talk to the docs about it, simply to hear it from them.

Thank you anowl! I know I shouldn't worry about reports like these, they are rarely 'proven' anyway, but thank you for your info.

people who have heart trouble would usually be advised to take somthing else, the dangers are for 60mg and above which they no longer prescribe. if you are worried ask your doctor. if your not confident after asking he or she ask another doctor and see what they suggest.

Thread Information