Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving myself mad again!! Are these side effects of Amitriptyline?

Re: Driving myself mad again!! Are these side effects of Amitriptyline?

Hello, from what my doctor told me its a side effect of the Elavil and most likely anxiety as well. I have just been weaned off of it... starting therapy for anxiety, see if it stops. In the mean time lots of water, fishermen friend and mout wash biotene helps

Unhappy Re: Driving myself mad again!! Are these side effects of Amitriptyline?

Hi, I just wanted to say I'm currently on 70mg of amitriptyline prescribed due to insomnia and migraines, it hasn't helped with either but I have had a really dry throat that feels itchy, a blocked nose which I'm not sure if it's the medication or something else, does anyone else have these issues other than the dry throat which seems very common,

Smile Re: Driving myself mad again!! Are these side effects of Amitriptyline?

Im pleased someone is having same side effects as me. Ive been taking 10mg Amitriptyline for my anxiety which is really bad, nausea, tremors etc. I was on stelazine for 20 years then for some reason it was unavailable so I had to go through withdrawal which was unbearable, felt like I was dying! My anxiety came back so I was given Sertraline, Citalopram, Prozak all of which have terrible side effects so as last resort my Doctor gave me Amitriptyline which resulted in me having the best nights sleep for ages! I felt great on this apart from Constipation but controlled this with Lactulose. I have been on Amitrip.for about a year now and its only the last few weeks ive had sore tongue and mouth ulcers. I put it down to eating crisps and biscuits so ive cut these out and the ulcers have gone but my tongue is still sore and I have to cool my cuppa tea with milk or it stings my tongue. I started drinking ice cold water and milk. Im hoping it will clear up if I watch what I eat but every symptom you have eg. dry mouth, thick saliva especially when I wake, froggy throat, dry cough with catarrh and the rest I have also. I was beginning to worry that I had something serious wrong as you do when you have anxiety, you imagine the worst scenario! I hope I have helped and you're not alone. Apart from this I feel great, Gave me my confidence back.

I have had this medication before and the dry mouth thick spit was aweful but i did sleep well with them , it is a common side effect . I used to take some orange juice to bed with me and just take small sips which helped a lot .

I get a really dry mouth too even though it is gettingbbetter now but apartbfrom that no other side effects except for drowsiness. But that's why I asked for Ami, to make me sleep better. I am also on 30mg of Mirtazapine.

I have just been described amitriptyline for sleep in an initial dose of 10mg at night as trazadone didn't help and because of my health I am limited as to what I can take.
    I was on a much higher dose 30 years ago mixed with parstelin (an MAORI) not prescribed these days as there as so many food restrictions.

I haven't started the amitriptylene as yet but I get a dry mouth especially if I wake up during the night or when I eventually wake up, without taking any AD. I believe it is also unfortunately just another side effect of anxiety.

I no longer have the dry mouth but it did last a about 4 weeks. I'm still full of anxiety though too and take mg and mg of Mirtazapine. But I do manage to sleep xxx

I was on the Amitriptylene for about 3 months in total (20mg) and had the terrible dry mouth, scratchy throat thing, so have weened myself off it. Strangely have been off it 2 weeks now and still have these symptoms. it is as if the meds have damaged my throat? Going to talk to doc about it next week!

I have been right up to 150mg but back down to 75mg now. Had dry mouth, would lose my voice and croak too, also constipation and weight gain but the dry mouth has vanished now. x

I am taking 10mg amitriptyline. I can take two at night, but I am sticking to one. I have had dry mouth, mouth ulcers and now cold sores.
    I am putting up with the symptoms as I have been sleeping well and mood is better.
    I am waiting to have a review with gp for meds beginning of next year so I will put up with side effects until then to see if there is an alternative medication.
    I have tried many different antidepressants in the past and none of them worked for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information