Thread: woke up with a racing heart - terrified now!

woke up with a racing heart - terrified now!

Hi everyone

I have been having a problem with waking up at night with a pounding heart and occassional bouts of tachycardia for nearly 2 years now and after visiting the doctor in October 2010 I was told it was probably anxiety after a normal ECG result. However, I am not convinced it is just anxiety because I think I might be because I wake up feeling boiling hot at the same time as the pounding heart. This can happen a few times a night and I have frequent nightmares.

Last night I woke up from a really scary dream feeling really hot with my heart pounding, I tried to calm myself down but my heart went really weird and kept speeding up and slowing down and then it shot off extremely fast and I went into the bathroom to splash myself with cold water. I was so terrified that it went faster and faster and tried to ignore it and went back to bed feeling really shakey. I woke my husband up told him what was happened but then my heart started to slow down, but my pulse was still a bit fast until I feel asleep again, but I kept waking up in a fright until the alarm went off. I don't know how fast my heart was going but I think it must have been 150 - 180 bpm. I was thinking of going to the doctor today but I decided against it as there is nothing they can do if it is perimenopause other than give me reassurance and I didn't want to go down there and just be told it is anxiety again! There is a history of early menopause in my family and I am 41 now, my nightime symptoms started at 39. If it keeps happening I might try and go to the doctors next week just for some reassurance, I hope they don't want to do another ECG, I was terrified the last time I had one and it showed my heart was racing!

I am now terrified that I have got an arrithyma problem and that this is what is causing my heart to race but the funny thing is that it only happens at night when I'm asleep. However, I can get a racing heart during the day if I get a panic attack but there is a build up to it, it doesn't just happen out of nowhere. If it is perimenopause that is causing my heart to race a night, I can't bare the thought of having to go through this for another 9 or 10 years until I reach the full menopause but I don't want to go on HRT. I have bought some menopace night and will give that a go.

I was just wondering whether any of you guys have had a similar thing happen with your heart at night, I am so scared now and I don't want to go to bed tonight. I have had no horrible symptoms during the day today, my pulse has been steady and my blood pressure was normal in the morning 115/75. Just to think yesterday I was feeling so much better about my heart health anxiety because RLR on the heart palpitations forum had given me some very reasurring advice but now I'm terrified all over again. Any help or advice would be most appreciated, I am so scared,
    hamster lady
    Last edited by hamster lady; 03-07-12 at 18:17.

Re: woke up with a racing heart - terrified now!

I think the more scared we become, the worse it gets. The racy heart is a lot more common that you might think, esp in menopause.

Could you try some meditation tapes and do things to take your mind off it and see if that helps the symptoms. Sip water as well as that helps.

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
    And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

HI... I have only just started to get thi ssymptom... waking up form sleep with my heart pounding and feeling hot and flushed... Its bloody awful! Anyhow, would love it if you could forward what RLR has to say about this... I do hope that your feeling a tad better today... Its so hard to try and stay calm... But thats just what we have to do... Take care...

Dear Hampster Lady

I've just posted my own concerns at five in the morning. You sound so frightend and I only hope that by the time you read this you will be feeling a little brighter. For what it's worth I just wanted to let you know that reading your post has given me a lot of comfort at a very shaky moment. I really hope you too can be reassured that you're not alone and I'm sure there are many others on here going through something similar. Hopefully we can all support eachother. Hope to 'speak ' to you again soon once we've both finally managed a decent night's sleep.

Thread Information