Thread: Help with Fluoxetine!!

Help with Fluoxetine!!

I just took my first dose this morning and I DO NOT like how I feel already!

It is only 10mg but it seems like it hit me pretty fast - I would rather deal with my anxiety (which honestly isn't super horrible - mostly tighteness in chest, exhaustion and not sleep good)!

How long will this last in my system?

I do NOT want to take it again tomorrow if this is how I will feel. I will start a new job in a few weeks and I can not afford to blow this!

If I do not take my second dose tomorrow will it be out of my system. It hasn't built up in my system yet right?

I plan to call the doctor tomorrow (today is holiday).

Thanks for any help!!!

Re: Help with Fluoxetine!!

You are right the effects do take time to build up, 1 x 10mg really cannot have a great effect

Quote Originally Posted by Pudie View Post
    You are right the effects do take time to build up, 1 x 10mg really cannot have a great effect
    Thanks Prudie! I started my own thread here because I didn't want to keep hijacking yours!

I feel a bit better now. But I still feel I am going back and forth between feeling Ok and than feeling a bit drowsy. Drowsy is better than "sped up" though - anyday!!!

I am still wondering why my dr. just didn't give me something for just anxiety. I mean my anxiety DOES make me depressed but any depression I have is (was) mostly because of my situations in life lately (which are finally improving!!)

I am reading a few books from the library on worry and anxiety. (boy do I worry! ahaha Obvious, right?) So that helps too. I am hoping that if things get better if I still keep taking this that I will just use it until I can learn some coping skills to deal with my anxiety. I hope it will not be difficult to go off of.

I am already to be on Metformin for my entire life - I don't really want to add something else to that. I hate taking pills as it is.

So did you feel crappy right away when you first started this or did it take a couple days?

It took 8 weeks for me to go out of the house. I've now been back at work for 7 months, worked away for 1 week, had my son through degree finals and my daughter through GCSEs. I'm still on 20mg but can cope. Feel tired a lot of the time and still have trouble sleeping through but the cloud WILL clear.

I am not doing good today. Unfortunately on another forum where I was asking for support, I had some person on there who had a really hard time with this drug telling me that I was gonna "suffer for a long time and there is no way around this". Of this made worry more than anything and I will all freaked - I am trying to not to listen to this stuff but it is hard when you do not feel well. I told him off but now I still got that stuff in my head.

Today is my 5th day - so far there hasn't been anything major - morning are the worst for me by far -even now I am crying as I type this out. I hate mornings so much. I wake up sad and scared. I have had some headaches and nausea. Sometimes I want to throw up from the nausea.

The tightness in my chest is mostly gone but I feel some of it coming back today because I am slightly nervous and I get anxious about being sad.

I know have many positive people telling me to 'hang in there' but what if this doesn't work?

I am supposed to start a new job soon and I am afraid I am going to blow this!

On Wednesday I am supposed to go up to 20 mg - will I start to feel better with a higher dose perhaps or will my side effects get worse?

It says that takes some time to "instal" the drug in your organism. So it`s better to take the second pill and talk with your doctor.
    As I know, doctors don`t have holidays so you can call anytime.
    Good luck

I started right off on 20 mgs after having taken 10 mgs of Citalopram for years. I had a really hard three weeks straight. I'm not going to lie. It was pretty rough. BUT I've been on it for about five weeks now and I can't even explain to you how much better I'm doing. I really want to encourage you to just take one thing at a time, realize that it is the meds that is making you a bit "unstable" feeling, if you will, and just try to take it easy. You're doing really well!

Well, I couldn't stand the Prozac anymore - I couldn't sleep!!!

Anyhow, I went to my dr and I was offered the choice of switching to Zoloft.

I had already taken my Prozac that day I was to switch to the 20mg the next day (which would have been today). So I am supposed to start the zoloft tonight.

I couldn't sleep at all last night and I called my clinic to see if they would give me something to help me sleep - they pretty much refused. Said I could take OTC pills and that would be OK to take with the Zoloft.

So I haven't taken any Prozac for 48 hours (or anything else) and all the nervousness and "on edgy" feeling I had is gone! I feel tired from no sleep but not too bad.

Part of me doesn't want to start the Zoloft because I am almost want to see if I can handle this the natural way (I need to let go off things from my past and live in the present which AdS are not going to help with), get more exercise, worry less. I was really only slightly depressed and my anxiety was bothering me because of tightness in the chest mostly. Which left me tried.

How long does the Prozac take to get out? I only took 10mg a day for 7 days - I am thinking that will exit pretty quickly as I feel better already but lets see if I can sleep tonight. I went on the treadmill today because I felt better enough to exercise.

And this is gonna sound weird but my eyes looked funny on Prozac - like not me - they look normal again!

QF, hello there. Sorry to hear that Prozac's not for you.
    I've had quite a good time on it, and I'm enjoying the results now.
    However, insomnia IS/WAS a problem.
    It is easier to draw blood from a stone than to get Valium/diazepam from my GP, but at both initial prescriptions for Prozac, my GP also prescribed diazepam to counter the insomnia. And now, knowing the benefit that I'm feeling from the Prozac, I would have continued without the diazepam (which I rarely took anyway - I've been saving them for a rainy day, but haven't seen any rain yet. I must be the ONLY ONE in the UK NOT to have seen rain recently. )
    Hope you find an AD that suits you. Life can be GOOD when you do.
    Good luck.

Thread Information