Thread: Swallowing problems

Swallowing problems

Hi all,

im not to upto date with forums so i do apologize. i am finding it hard to swallow all the time. it started about 6 months ago with anxiety attacks and it was horrible, so the doctor put me on propranolol and some other tablet that i have to take on a night time. its getting a hold of me now and its starting to make me depressed. i get episodes at work, at home anywhere. Is there really going to be an end to this eventually? a few times now i have felt like ending my life which is a very hard thing for me to share. I just want this to go away and be normal once again, any tips would be great..

Re: Swallowing problems

I totally empathise with you. It's so hard when the thoughts take over, but hang in there, it will get better. Are you on any meds? I have found that Prozac has helped me stop obsessing as much as I used to.
    I have issues with swallowing, feeling like things stuck in throat. Do you have problems with swallowing in general or just with food? It is most likely anxiety and the moment you focus on something it makes it continue and get worse. Keep looking up.

hi louise,

im on mitzrapine and propranolo and ive just been to the doctrs and he has put me on diazepam. they are already seem to be helping. its when i try to swallow anything, even syliva.

Can you swallow and it feels like food is stuck, or your swallowing function doesn't seem to work properly?

i HAVE THIS NOW. It seems like i cant swallow and the function isnt working properly. Im so scared :'( xxxx

I feel your pain Rayn. I will probably post quite a lot in this throat symptoms room as for me it is the main gripe of anxiety for me. Even when I am not nervous in mind about anything my swallowing sets me off into wanting to throw up and fear. I know I am not struggling to swallow as I can drink and eat fine, it's just the whole feeling of swallowing my own saliva I guess doesn't seem natural. Very tense throat and neck, extreme feeling of wanting to just gag and throw up, constant throat clearing... In a weird sense it almost feels like the upper LES in the throat doesn't close up and just stays open. Strange to say. Would love to hear what medication people take that helps this issue!

hi,

lousie: it feels like my swallowing function has stopped its a horrible sensation and i keep getting dry mouth as well which isnt helping.

Lcartel: i have sort of the same symptoms as you. its not very nice to feel like this. the doc is taking me off mirtazipine and putting me on prozac. what drugs are you on?

Fly away katie: dont worry too much about it, the doctor has told me its almost impossible to actually choke it just feels like you are going to when you put food into your mouth. What meds are you on?

thanks all xx

Hi Rayn. Sorry for the late reply.

Right now I am not on any tablets for Anxiety. I suffered in silence for years, ever since being a teenager but I am now in my late 20s and it is worse than ever. I feel hopeless and at a loss. It's tough right now as last year I was on such a high, conquered my dental phobia, got a new job etc etc.

I did bite the bullet in February and wrote a list out of all my anxiety symptoms and went to see my GP.... And I really hate seeing my GP!! It's not some great relationship and pride etc makes me avoid it. He prescribed my Propranolol back then after me refusing councelling. He did ask me to go back after 2 weeks to let him know how it was going. I took one Propranolol tablet and it made me feel terrible. Heavy tight chest like I couldn't breath (I suffer with Asthma). I said to myself after that how I was going to ring him about him.... Low and behold days passed I didnt ring him, then weeks, then months and I haven't been back to him since. I needed to go to the doctors recently for a prescription but I am in fear of going out constantly now. I tried to take a Propranolol once again hoping it would just calm my heart rate and give me the chance to just get my prescription but I was still frozen with fear and throwing up.

So I am at a complete loss right now as I have no medication that helps me and I am frozen when it comes to the thought of going to see my Doctor again. It's kinda poor that I can't even email my GP in 2012 as well.

How is the Prozac working for you? Is that an Anti Depressant?

hi lcartel,

i dont go on prozac until tuesday 7th, the need to slowly take me off mirtazipine but its making me feel terrible. i feel sick, unrelaxed, irritated, angry etc... i just wont this all to stop now, i havent eat anything in 18 days now and my doc doesnt seem concerned at all. i take propranolol and i think they are great for anxiety, but tablets have different affects on different people. I want to be normal again and i want to eat again..

yes i think the prozac is an antidepressant but i wont know until next week but i will let ya know asap. Keep your chin up, im 28 so about the same age as you and i know its horrible but every post i have read online there is always light at the end of the tunnel!!!

much love xx

I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel. I know I don't really help myself regarding it but it's really tough when you feel almost crippled inside to be able to go and discuss it with someone.

Just wish I could understand if this is Anxiety for me or Physical. As my Anxiety seems to stem from the weird throat feeling and swallowing, it's the only thing that bothers me really. But then maybe it is a psychological thing giving me the throat feeling in the first place! It's all one big circle going on in my mind about it.

When I first took Propranolol I thought it was good as I felt relaxed but then I wasn't really too anxious at the point when I took it in the first place but within half an hour or so I just felt like I had a really heavy chest and after doing some light activity I was struggling to catch my breath with it. So it definitely made me more panicky in the end.

Thread Information