Thread: Newbie. Just prescribed Pregabalin 150mg. Does it work?

Newbie. Just prescribed Pregabalin 150mg. Does it work?

Hi I am new to the site & wondered if you guys could advise me about these new Pregabalin I have been given to treat my panic attacks.
    I am diagnosed Bipolar (mostly lows) & have been suffering from panic attacks for 20 years. Over the years I have tried every form of medication. The only thing that seemed to stop them were benzo's (which I can no longer get) The panic attacks are brought on by my obsessive thinking & I now use avoidance behaviours so as to avoid having one. I get taxis everywhere (expensive) as I can no longer get on a bus. I am almost agrophobic now & can't work (have not been able to for years). I am mostly at home.
    My mental health team have today told me I can no longer get prescribed any benzo's which I have carried in my bag everytime I go out (when I do) as a safety net. I feel so angry as this was the only way I could function. I currently take 300mg Seroquel XL, 45mg Mirtazapine & have now been given this Pregabalin 150mg twice per day. I feel that this is a lot of medication to be on & I don't want to be zombied out as I have young children. I have asked for counselling but the mental health team are putting me off, saying the waiting list is 18 months long.
    I just want to be able to live again & do the usual things like attend my Son's fun day at school. Does this medication work? Will it cure the panic attacks & obsessive thinking? I am desperate now & starting to loose all faith in meds & the mental health team. I just can't live like this anymore.
    Any experiences are most welcome.
    Thanks for listening to my rant!
    Cat xx

Re: Newbie. Just prescribed Pregabalin 150mg. Does it work?

Hi

I have been on Pregabalin for approx 3 years now. Altho I have suffered from severe anxiety/panic attacks for approx 18 months now I was prescribed the Pregablin for Chronic neuropathic pain.

So I'm not sure how helpful I can be - what I can say is everyones reactions to medication is individual so no one can say if you will be 'cured' by any particular medication.

Its more the case of how the medication will 'manage' whatever your problem is and unfortunately its usually the case of 'suck it and see'

In all honesty I've never heard of it being prescribed specifically for Panic Attacks, for GAD yes.

The side effects are quite bad initially (for me anyways) but they do wear off and like I said only you can know if it'll work for you by trying it.

Hello & thank you for your reply. I have just realised that I needed to post in the introduce yourself forum! Sorry about that.
    I have just taken the 1st pill after having a panic attack at home this morning (which I managed to get through without taking any more benzo's!!0
    I am feeling very calm at the moment & I feel so much better, I am feeling a bit dazed but it's ok. I just hope & pray that this med will help me overcome my panic episodes so I can start to live again!
    Thanks again for your reply.
    Cat x

Hi I'm not sure how they are telling you to take it? Usually its not an occaisional thing as it has to build up in the system.

For example for my CP I have been taking it 3 times a day for 3 years. Not saying you will need to be on it anywhere near that long as its different with pain.

Well done for getting thro the PA tho.

Hi thank you, it was a real turning point to get through the PA.
    I have been prescribed 150mg twice a day. I took the first doses yesterday & felt different straight away. I felt very drowsy but not in a bad way. I just felt stronger in general, like I could face things for the 1st time in ages. I really hope this will be the med to change things for me. I have just got a letter from my CPN this morning about graded exposure. Hopefully if I work on it this may help me too.
    Thanks for your reply xx

Thread Information