Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Work related-"Formal Hearing" Agoraphobia??

Exclamation Work related-"Formal Hearing" Agoraphobia??

Hi,

Not sure where to post this really but my employer is arranging a "Formal ill Health Hearing" due to my anx/panic/agoraphobia.

To cut a long story short, I had 3 months off sick and returned on 'phase' in late January. There are elements of my job that I have been unable to undertake since returning mainly due to the agoraphobia. I am on meds, having regular GP appointments and currently 3/4 through my CBT. I have made a little progress but I have a long way to go yet.

Is a formal ill health hearing the same as a Capability Hearing? I have requested more information from my line manager and asked for time to 'prepare'.....I don't really know what I am actually preparing for though!! My therapist is happy to support me by letter (she says I am covered by the Equalities act and they have a 'duty of care' to me) and i'm pretty sure my GP would do the same. I have to say this is causing me extra anxiety that I really don't need right now. I have already had an Occ Health assessment.

I have worked at the same place for 18+ years and feel that I am destined for the reject pile now. Their work ethic is shoot first, ask later so to speak, it's a very brutal and tyrannical style of management so I really don't know what to expect.

Any advice would really help me right now, my mind is in complete disarray Thanks for reading.

Kitti

Re: Work related-"Formal Hearing" Agoraphobia??

Hi Kittikat
    Sorry to hear of you problems are you a member of a union? you could turn to for support,if not please do get advice in your case the best place to start might be citizens advice,you really will need help preparing your firm probably has a HR dept as well as managers,please do not go in under-prepared.

Its good your health professionals are on board that is a important point of support tallk to them and get them to support you if the firm writes to them as i suspect it will.

I feel very soryy for your plightits not nice,by the way were occupational; health not able to offer any support to you

Sadly companies do not seem to care now as in the past where they had Personnel depts instead of HR which is just another branch of management ,that tends not to support the employee,if you need to talk please PM me and i will offer any help i can.Richard x

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1960 View Post
    Hi Kittikat
    Sorry to hear of you problems are you a member of a union? you could turn to for support,if not please do get advice in your case the best place to start might be citizens advice,you really will need help preparing your firm probably has a HR dept as well as managers,please do not go in under-prepared.

Its good your health professionals are on board that is a important point of support tallk to them and get them to support you if the firm writes to them as i suspect it will.

I feel very soryy for your plightits not nice,by the way were occupational; health not able to offer any support to you

Sadly companies do not seem to care now as in the past where they had Personnel depts instead of HR which is just another branch of management ,that tends not to support the employee,if you need to talk please PM me and i will offer any help i can.Richard x
    Thank you so much for your reply Richard.

Unfortunately I am not in the union (but many have said they are useless anyway). The email I received about the hearing was sent to me by my line manager (she is ok actually) but originally sent to her and the head of department by HR. I was quite disgusted that I was not copied in to the original email. It tells the HOD to arrange the formal review and HR will give her 'advice'. My line manager is to give her input regarding the impact my illness has on 'the service', this is to be 'foramally considered by the organisation'.

The email actually says ...."is at work but her ill health is affecting her ability to carry out her work duties and responsibilities" this is BullSh** there is only one aspect of my job I cannot do because of the agoraphobia. I am doing the rest of my job every day.

The Occ Health suggested ways in which my employer could 'support' me on my return to work. Some of the things suggested were put into operation, the most important thing was 'practical support' to do the travelling I can't do atm....this took weeks to set up and was a waste of time anyway as the person appointed did not have the time to do the amount of work passed to her due to her existing work commitments!!

I agree about the old personel depts. That is long gone sadly. I get the feeling I am going to get an email next week 'inviting' me to attend the hearing on a date within a few days as that is how they operate. This will not be appropriate and I will refuse until I have all the facts and any evidence I need. Plus an advocate to accompany me.

Thanks for the offer to PM you, I may take you up on that if necessary. Much appreciated. Many thanks, Kitti

Before worrying too much, wait and see what they say. If there is one part of your job you can't carry out, then it may be they just want to see if they can rearrange your responsibilities to give that to someone else, and get you to take on something else you can do.

If part of your job is travelling, and you can't do it, then the agoraphobia IS affecting your ability to carry out your job, even if it is only part of it.

From an employers point of view, they need to make the best use of the staff they have, so when someone can't do part of their job, then they need to find a way to get around this so all the work that needs doing in the company is still being done.

Remember that they are still your employers, and they pay your wages, so they do have the final say in what you do at work, so if they request that you attend a hearing, then you should do, but definitely take an advocate if you want one there.

Thank you for your input mikewales, much appreciated.

I am going to attend the hearing, but not at a minutes notice....I need to gather all the evidence I may need first, so what I am saying is that they will have to agree a suitable amount of time for me to do this. I think that is reasonable under the circumstances.

Hi Kitti

I'm really sorry you're having to go through a medical review at work but I wouldn't worry about it too much, it is likely to be in your best interest and that of the company too. It's common practice when someone has been off ill for a long time.

I was in a similar position a number of years ago, I have worked for my local college since 1997 when due to ill health, both physical and mental, I went on the sick for approx six months, perhaps more. During that time I had regular appointments with Occupational Health and kept my employer informed.

It was agreed that I had a phased return to work too, working one day and building it up to three days. I found that at that time three days was my limit, and I was supported with this by Occ Health and my consultant. My employer didn't really have a decision to make as like others have already said, they have a duty of care to all their employees, and having a mental health problem I was considered as having a disability so was covered by the disability discrimination act, not that I needed to remind them of this of course. My employer agreed to allow me to work three days a week for a 12 month period and employ a temp to cover the other two days. As I often felt more unwell in the mornings they also allowed me to start work later. It is probable Kitti that your employer may just need to find out how they can help you in a practical way, finding out what you are able and unable to do in order for them to perhaps allow someone else to take on some of your responsibilities until you are able to manage them yourself again.

Your employer should allow you sufficient time to arrange for someone to accompany you to the hearing/review. I wouldn't refuse to attend, just negotiate a day and time that suits you both. With regards to preparring, I took along any medical evidence I had in the form of letters, appointments from medical professionals and explained that I was receiving treatment and there is every chance that my condition will improve allowing me to return to work on a full time basis as before. My employer was very supportive and not at any time was my job threatened.

I wish you the very best of luck, try not to worry.

Zings

Zingy...

thank you so much for your kind input. I really appreciate what you are saying and it has helped to ease my mind loads

We have rather more in common than you think....I will PM you later if that's ok (am off out now) but I just wanted to say thank you so much for the interesting and useful information you have provided.

Kitti xx

No Prob Kitti x

I'm not just a pretty face you know

Hello Kittikat, i just wanted to wish you good luck for this
    formal hearing. I think this company need to value you more.
    you have been there so long they do not take into account the persons
    circumstances too well so they are definitely at fault.

Your a very nice person and i know you deserve better. xxx

Quote Originally Posted by grace17 View Post
    Hello Kittikat, i just wanted to wish you good luck for this
    formal hearing. I think this company need to value you more.
    you have been there so long they do not take into account the persons
    circumstances too well so they are definitely at fault.

Your a very nice person and i know you deserve better. xxx

Thank you for your kind words of support hun Kitti xx

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information