Thread: Will I be on Prozac forever?

Unhappy Will I be on Prozac forever?

I was just reading a few posts on the forum and started to worry that I might be on this drug forever, I am currently on my 22nd day of fluoxitine 20mg and although I do feel somewhat more relaxed of an evening, I still cannot say with confidence that I am on the mend at all, all I want is to feel normal again but I fear I am going to be stuck in this loop forever...feeling very low for most of the day then calm for a few hours before bed isn't what I would call a successful course of medicine...I am actually scared that I'm going to be like this for a long time, do people ever successfully take Prozac and come off them cured of depression!!?

Re: Will I be on Prozac forever?

I was on it for about 11 months then took myself off.

It helped the depression but never touched the panic attacks and anxiety.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

hi Rockbottom,

Welcome to NMP. Do not despair. I started with citalopram over a year ago on 40mg, but it did not work to well, then went onto prozac at 40mg, at my worst at christmas I was on 60mg and then went back to 40mg. Recently I dropped down to 20mg, which I feel much happier with. It takes time for you body to adapt to the drug and can take 6-8 weeks to take effect. I can tell you I feel 100% better than what I was in May11 when I had lost all confidence and felt realy terrible. I have tried to stop takinf prozac but felt terrible so I am staying on them until I feel stronger. I am used to one a day now and have no side effects.

Keep going

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I was on it for about 11 months then took myself off.

It helped the depression but never touched the panic attacks and anxiety.
    How did you feel when you came off after 11 months Nicola ?

I replied to your PM now Rock

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I've been on 20mg since the start of November and for the past 6 months have been functioning normally. Second time around for me after a 3 month stint in 2010. It DOES get better.

Hi Rockbottom

22 days is very early days with Prozac - I was on it for 15 years great years and would have still been on it but it stopped working. It cured my depression and anxiety and personally I felt much better than I had every done in my life. I did not start feeling better until around 8 weeks - trust me you will know.

I am on a different med now Venlafaxine - after being on a few others - and have a good vibe like I did with prozac - I know where my bread is buttered so to speak and will stay on for life - because when prozac stopped working - the anxiety and depression came back with a vengeance.

Good luck - you will get there I promise!

Laura

Thread Information