Thread: over-sensitive

over-sensitive

How do I overcome being over-sensitive? Between persistent anxiety, depression, and PTSD-induced panic attacks, I can no longer cope with my life problems. Maybe this post is too broad or obvious or personal. But I feel compounded with real life problems that become life-or-death and manifest in the above mentioned ways. I feel estranged from my family, even though I am currently living with them. I know I am being realistic when I say that they care for me more when I am physically absent from their lives. Family violence and problems are a huge reason why I am here today, yet I still harbor some hope that I will matter to my parents in a meaningful way, and feel like I fail daily to make an impact on their lives. Today was a particularly bad family day for me, although they are sleeping soundly right now, assuredly thinking everything about our interactions was fine. But I can only think of how they consistently show their lack of pride in or care for me. At what point can I return that feeling, and estrange them from myself? I feel too sensitive and weak to do so. I keep hoping they will care someday, and be proud of me. Thinking about these things has brought me panic, anxiety, depression feelings, and horrible IBS symptoms tonight.

How will I ever move on? Get on an airplane, travel? Eat without fear? Drive on a long road trip alone? Deal with a family fight, or with real failure in my life? I am a perfectionist and fairly successful with everything I do. It's not enough. Nothing ever makes my pain go away. I want everything to 'roll off my back' and to be able to move on from very very minor bad feelings. But they all just snowball into huge symptoms anyway.

Re: over-sensitive

You are obviously in a very difficult situation, but to estrange yourself from your family may only bring more problems for yourself. The reason I say this is because I have some experience in that field.
    My Mum left me when I was 3 years old and returned when I was 12, she moved in with myself and my Grandparents. I would say that I took on selective mutism, I would only communicate with her through my Grandparents. Keeping all that hurt inside, I would not show any emotion, I believe that those things greatly contributed to my onset of anxiety. It is only in the last few years that I have burried my demons and become friends with my Mum again.

So in my opinion, if you are to leave the family home, do not go with resentment and a need for retrebution, there has to be a small amout of forgivness, or those feelings that you have inside will only add to your anxiety.

I hope you are able to move forwards with your life.
    Last edited by BobbyDog; 11-07-12 at 10:33. Reason: spelling

BobbyDog

Thanks for the reply and support, BobbyDog. I hope that I can find forgiveness and that it will also provide me some relief from anxiety and panic, it is just hard for me especially to forgive.

Quote Originally Posted by stirred View Post
    Thanks for the reply and support, BobbyDog. I hope that I can find forgiveness and that it will also provide me some relief from anxiety and panic, it is just hard for me especially to forgive.
    I understand where you are coming from, but if you don't forgive you will not be able to move forwards, it will eat you up, beleive me, I have been there.

Good luck and if you want to chat send me a PM

BobbyDog

Thread Information