Thread: Bone profile abnormal, no action ??

Bone profile abnormal, no action ??

Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I had blood tests done to check my thyroid and a few other things because I was getting tired a lot. I got told that no action was required after the results.

Today I was at doctors to get ears syringed (nice!) and saw on the screen that it said 'Bone profile (or identity? I couldn't see) was Abnormal', but no action required. Does anyone know what that is? Or why the doctor never told me about it? I just spoke to the receptionist when I rang up for results, but they'd have let me know if I had to go in wouldn't they?

Re: Bone profile abnormal, no action ??

I worked at a Drs and believe it or not there is a window with each test for mild abnormalities that are of no consequence. Most tests have a leeway both above and below the normal range that is usually just down to thats persons genetic makeup and is nothing to do with anything being wrong.

For example the ESR test, the normal range is calculated for sex and age but you can be quite a bit above the normal range before its says action required as any minor infection can push this test result up but it means nothing whereas if you got a reading that was say 20 points above ref range then the lab would say needs action to your Dr.

So you can assume that although strictly your results were not completely in the normal range ( bone profile covers quite a few items) it was probably just that one of them was very slightly raised but not enough to need action.

I am sure your Dr would explain it too you if you asked.

Re: Bone profile abnormal, no action ??

Thanks so much! That's really helpful.

Thread Information