Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bloated, swollen abdomen

Re: Bloated, swollen abdomen

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post
    Hi Chiron,

For the abdominal swelling, there are potentially a number of common reasons, not immediately dangerous, but certainly worth looking into.

If it is associated with progressive weight gain over a few kilos and the top part of your abdomen feels firm, then abdominal fat deposits are a likely candidate. These are fat deposits which attach themselves to your intestines and kidneys. Probably every middle-aged man has some, including me!

There is also weight stored as water, for various reasons. If it's nothing serious, a diuretic may help. If you blood pressure is high, the doctor may consider a diuretic, anyway.

When people talk of bloating, it's often due to food not digesting properly, then being digested by the gut bacteria, which produce a lot of gas, causing swelling and discomfort. We've all got different gut bacteria, plus some people don't digest certain foods very well.

All of those are possibilities. Pregabalin may affect them, but people also get them without any medication. If you are stopping pregabalin, keep a check on your weight and how your abdomen feels to see if there is any improvement.
    I'm grateful to you, Hanshan. Truly so.

Hi Chiron,

All the best with your recovery. I'll be out of contact for the next few days while I have my leg operated on, but feel free to post as there are other helpful people who will answer.

OH man I feel the same way!!! It seems to be helping but it makes me feel so bloated like I gained 30 lbs or something. Does this go away? or is there something you can take to help??

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information