Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My humble story Pt2. How I am doing it.

Re: My humble story Pt2. How I am doing it.

Hi Seffie,

When I was looking for guidance and help, I never saw anyone come back after so long after the initial post and provide an update, that's why I though it was important for me to bump this post.

I think the most important thing to realize with GAD is that, it's okay. It's normal. Everyone experiences anxiety, you have to remind yourself that you are having a NORMAL HUMAN EXPERIENCE. After that, even if you have certain fears about certain places, or certain things. Recognize that and allow the fears to be there.

Sure, i still get nervous when I fly on an airplane, but I still get on it and I still fly it. Everyone gets nervous, the key is to not let your mind RUN AWAY WITH IT.

Personally I find that when I gauge myself internally and I notice myself building up with stress where I can't "let go" or "just let be", then I take the necessery steps to de-stress. I take some alone time at a beach somewhere or I go for a jog or a hike. I do things that I know relax me and I constantly talk to myself in a positive manner.

Much love!
    Stan

What a great post
    Just what I needed to read today after a few anxious days
    It's given me a boost
    Thank you

Yes, definitely a great post - thanks for bumping it!

Not sure if you're still checking this post Stan, but I just want to say thank you for posting this.

This is the most practical and honest post I've ever read about anxiety/OCD (in fact, I just started writing my life story... then recalled that like you say, delving into the past, replaying the same incidents over and over, asking yourself countless questions day in day out... doesn't help at all). I'm going to save your post and avoid forums from now on. It can be comforting to know other people are going through what I am, but the reassurance essentially does nothing in the long run. It doesn't change or stop any of the anxious feelings. Anyway. I feel I am on the road you were on a while back; I had a "false recovery", for 2-3 years actually, and am now paying the price for that a little bit with a very crappy relapse that I've felt building for several months and sternly ignored and refused to confront. I'm very determined to deal with things the right way this time around, and manage for the long term rather than RIGHT NOW, which is so often the temptation with OCD/GAD.

It sounds like you've had a really amazing CBT therapist, I am currently trying to get on the waiting list for some - had it in the past, but never completed the sessions and was never really dedicated to them at all (thought I knew it all).

My questions to you are (if you are still there):
    1. How long did you have CBT for? Do you still have it now, or was there a natural finishing point?
    2. Do you think the principles of mindfulness and meditation are useful for recovery?

Thank you again. Really mean that.

Best Wishes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information