Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My humble story Pt2. How I am doing it.

Re: My humble story Pt2. How I am doing it.

Bumping this up as I think its the best recovery guide on the site.

Loved this post! Well done!

I've just printed it out to read again, and again... and show hubby too!

I was just going to start meds, but your post makes perfect sense. I need to 'grow up' too, and tackle the things that are making me unhappy deep down (and there are quite a few LOL) - no matter how scary it may seem. Otherwise I'll always relapse.

I too am a hypochondriac. But I also have a little GAD, and depression.

Thank you! And well done, again.

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:36 ----------

Oops didn't see when it was dated. Nonetheless - awesomeeeeee post!

It will be sunny, one day.

I really struggle with this
    10. I shut the door to the past, I've learned from it, but I seldom revisit it.

I struggle with that too MrAndy.

I shut doors. But then things eat away at me... guilt, and all kinds of other emotions.

It will be sunny, one day.

thank you, i will try to implement these ideas you have shown, best wishes everyone

hi stan brill what you wrote. its so hard getting your head to tell your body its just a feeling. i get a heavy feeling in my chest, had it on and of then due to high stress i have it nearly all time. to me ive got all sorts wrong but i know i hold myself so up tight i ache. how do you get over that.

Quote Originally Posted by minn View Post
    hi stan brill what you wrote. its so hard getting your head to tell your body its just a feeling. i get a heavy feeling in my chest, had it on and of then due to high stress i have it nearly all time. to me ive got all sorts wrong but i know i hold myself so up tight i ache. how do you get over that.
    heavy chest? you're probably breathing incorrectly.

try 4-5 deep breaths from your stomach and it should help you feel better.

much love,
    Stan

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:00 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndy View Post
    I really struggle with this
    10. I shut the door to the past, I've learned from it, but I seldom revisit it.
    This one is a bit difficult. It helps with recovery, but its not truly anxiety based, its more depression based.

The way I did it, was, I learned a therapeutic response,like say "That was then and this is now and I can't change the past, but I can change the future. So just get on with it" and I would just repeat that each time I'd dwell on the past. In instances where it was overwhelming, I'd try to physically do something else...walk away, change the channel on tv. anything.

This is such a good post that I'm glad I read. We're roughly the same age and I've noticed a lot of people in their 20s on the forum with similar thought processes and worries. I think it can definitely happen to anyone regardless of age but strangely, a few months ago I remember hearing something on the news about how newer generations are dealing with life a lot differently. (Or not dealing with it, as the case may be.) I've been in a massive rut for a large part of my adult life, never having quite grown up either. I've had depression for a decade and social anxiety for a large part. It all came to a head this summer when I fell down the hole of health anxiety. Stomach worries led to other worries and for a month now, I've had a stiff neck and shoulder on my right side that seem never to go away but get worse the more I touch or get upset about it. I'm on the wait list for CBT and so still reassurance seeking far too much. Your steps make a lot of sense to me and I'm going to stick this page in my bookmarks.

OP here!

It's been 3 years since this post and I stand by it.

Of course I've fine tuned a few things here and there, but I haven't relapsed.

Let me clarify, I get stressed out, my mind races. But I've learned and practiced techniques to calm myself and to "work through it", whatever it is.

I went from being afraid (getting dizzy spells) to walk around my block to flying for 8 hours sitting next to a stranger, transferring on small plane for another hour, taking a bus and then a boat...all by myself. This was my trip to Venice

There are plenty of recovery guides around, sites that ask for money, but it really comes down to something very simple. Just like allergies gives you itchy eyes, runny nose..etc, anxiety paralyzes you, but that's all it does.

Paralysis is what keeps people away from recovering. Anyone can do it, the biggest key is to become aware when you get in your own way of recovery. Recovery isn't easy, but its not "painful", it's just uncomfortable and long. You have to be your own coach, be your own inspiration and just tune yourself into progress progress progress, never give up. Your willingness to prove your "instinct" (lizard) brain wrong is what will drive your recovery.

ask questions!

Hi Stan thanks so much for bumping this up as I really needed to read this today! Well done on your recovery btw!
    I am 52 & have had anxiety on & off for many years. I was an anxious child & had OCD & health anxiety from a young age, but I lived 'normally' until my late 20's when I experienced anxiety & panic attacks for the first time. With the help of a counsellor & some good anxiety books I was fine again but never really developed good coping strategies for life. My 30's were fine really then I hit my early 40's & menopause kicked in & anxiety hit me hard & I ended up really unwell with nervous exhaustion. I worked really hard to get well again & eventually got back to normal life but I am now still suffering with GAD & although I rarely have PA's I have developed some strong fears around certain situations & it's becoming a problem again. I am very like you in that I have health anxiety & could so easily be agorophobic but I wont allow that to happen!!
    I work hard every day to cope with my anxiety 'the right way' & really use Claire Weekes's programme & advice which I think is similar to how you have recovered.
    Reading your post has helped me so much today to get back on track & remind me that this is the road to recovery! I know it takes time, patience & perseverance but I know this method works. We might not always realise it but anxious people are also very brave & courageous!!
    Thanks for sharing your experience Stan!
    All the best
    Seffie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information