Thread: copper toxicity - iud??

copper toxicity - iud??

hi all, so I was just wondering if there are any women out there who have the non hormonal copper coil fitted for birth control?? ive recently been reading some thing about copper toxicity and how is can cause symptoms like anxiety, depression etc, my doctor told me the copper amount was so small it wouldn't absorb much which I took her word for but looking back I have had it in about 3 years and in the last two year or so was when my mental health slowly started to decline, usually I would go along with what my doctor says but I am also vegetarian which makes me even more likely to have a high copper content in my body, just wondered if anyone else is in a similar situation? I'd ask for a copper test from my doc but ive lost count of how many blood tests shes done through my suspicions ha ha

Smile Re: copper toxicity - iud??

Hi Kay-Kay,
    I came across your message after doing a google search myself last night looking for the same information. I googled it a few ways, but the one that threw up big results was 'IUD copper toxicity'.
    This apparently is a very common problem, though because most Drs don't believe it can happen (from an IUD) generally they don't test for it. In fact heavy metals of any kind can cause problems with the nervous system, brain function, digestion, joints and muscles. One of the things excessive heavy metals do is clog the liver, which is essential for the correct functioning of pretty much your whole body.
    So, nothing to panic about - it is reversible, but the copper IUD does need to go so you can get your levels back to normal.

excerpt from website: holistic-back-relief.com/copper-toxicity
    "Copper is a very stimulating mineral to the nerves and nervous system. Copper increases the production of epinephrine, norepinephrine, and dopamine while also implicated in a decrease of histamine. These effects on neurotransmitter levels can give rise to many psychological imbalances such as mood swings, depression, mental agitation, feeling over-stimulated, restlessness, anxiety, insomnia and a racing mind with too many thoughts are all hallmarks of elevated Copper toxicity."

Hair falling out, fatigue, panic attacks and a whole lot of other symptoms are listed by women in blogs also. I just had my IUD out yesterday, and am about to start a detox program. It's exciting to think I can get a 'clear mind' back, as it's been a LONG time since it's been that way. I have had 2 consecutive IUDs for a total of around 14 years. All the symptoms I've seen listed by women in the blogs - I've got them. Here's to a 'clearer, saner future'.
    Good luck.

Re: copper toxicity - iud??

I'd like to give another perspective on this, from someone who has had a coil and not had issues

I have had a copper coil in place for about 18 months now as I just don't tolerate hormonal contraception well at all. Since I stopped the combined pill, my anxiety and depression hasn't been anything like as severe and I feel like a totally different woman!

I have had anxiety and depression dips while it has been in place but nothing more than before I had it in place (in fact I would say they were better) and in no way would I put these blips down to the coil being in place.

My understanding as a scientist is that the levels of copper in the coil are not toxic to us, far from it. You have to be careful what a lot of websites say - many of them do not base their evidence on peer reviewed scientific research and they are as such, unregulated in what they say.

---------- Post added at 17:33 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12266319 This article (published in a respected peer reviewed journal) gives a good summary of how the copper coil works

The copper coil was horrific. My anxiety went through the roof. I'm actually allergic to most metals but the doctor said the coil would be fine.( The green substance highlighted i was indeed allergic to copper coils too). Worst six months of my life. When i would be due to have my period my body would go into anxiety melt down. It eventually fell out ( the same week i had booked a removal so luckily had been playing it safe). I'm still an anxious Minnie but nowhere near as bad. Although the week leading upto my period i do find im more jittery than normal.

I have also been on Citalopram. Worse experience of my life. That was a hellish year too. Nearly had a breakdown starting the stuff and became suicidal in Berlin ( sounds quite amusing writing it like that) coming off it after a year. I got down to 5mg by cutting it and then after a few months i just went cold turkey. Two weeks of being a shell of a human ... Since i've been off it i still have anxiety and panic attacks but i feel like im more of myself? They are less frequent and i smile and care about alot more stuff than i used too. Which is good. It was hard coming off the stuff but i was lucky to have good support. Good luck with the reductions
    Last edited by Serafina86; 05-04-13 at 09:44. Reason: Accidentally hit post ....

I have suffered from all those toxicity symptoms from a copper IUD. Itīs terrible. It really, really sucks... :-( BUT - There is a support group for us "sufferers": please join us, if you share our experiences!!!

Send me a PM and I will give you the link! (Couldnīt do it here, it says... they think Iīm spamming or something

My best wishes!

---------- Post added at 15:09 ---------- Previous post was at 15:07 ----------

...Or put http........ in front of this:

health.groups.yahoo.com/group/copperiuddetox/

:-)

Thread Information