Thread: I think something is wrong with my kidneys, very worried

Unhappy I think something is wrong with my kidneys, very worried

Hello,
    2012 has probably been the worst year of my life. Not only have I been dealing with severe hypochondria, but also severe social anxiety. In January, I started to suffer from dizziness. I went to the doctor, got my hearing tested (in case of Menieres), and nothing was found to be wrong. It is still going on. Now, in addition to this dizziness, I think I have kidney problems. I am turning 16 soon. It started about a month ago, when I started to have pain on my right side, right above my bum in the joint where you bend, whenever I would bend over. I also had lots of IBS-type stomach pain and gas. Then the pain also moved to the left side, causing me to believe that a kidney infection in my right had spread to the left. After about 3 days, I started to feel thirsty, and it wouldn't go away. I had many panic attacks because of this, and I went to the doctor to get it checked out in case there was something wrong, because I was certain there was an infection. Well, right as the doctor came into the room he looked at my urine sample and said it did not look like there was an infection. He felt my kidneys, stomach, etc, and said there did not seem to be anything wrong, but he sent my urine off to be tested for infection. It has been a month and they have not phoned back, and my mother said when they don't phone back the results came back negative. Well here I am, still having weird pains now on my back, hip, pelvis and side. They are not really bad or anything, just bothering me and I am constantly worrying about what is going on with me if I don't have an infection. My symptoms are like a yo-to, sometimes I don't feel anything, sometimes my side and back and stomach, etc hurt more than usual, and I feel more thirsty. I don't really have any other symptoms like fever, vomiting, urine, etc, just the mild pain, thirst, and it hurts to pee a bit but that has been going on for almost two years and I was already tested for an infection there at the same time. The thirst is what worries me the most, because it just comes and goes, and I don't know if it is anxiety caused. It could be anxiety, because one day I looked at my urine and thought it looked cloudy, and I began to feel thirsty right away. For the past three days, I have been quite thirsty, and it started after I had pains in my stomach and side after eating ice cream, which I'm sensitive to, so maybe it could've been IBS. I don't know I'd I'm obsessing over it or whatever, because if I do something else I don't think about it until I stop and I think I'm supposed to be thirsty. I remember about 2 years ago I also felt thirsty all the time because I was worrying about diabetes I am really scared that I will end up in the hospital with kidney failure or something and that I will have to be on dialysis for the rest of my life and never be able to go on 2 week vacations ever again, and I panic every time we drive past the hospital or see an ambulance. The worst part is that my parents insist that there is nothing wrong with me, that it is my anxiety, and they say I look totally healthy and they do not believe there is nothing wrong with me. I don't know whether I should go to a doctor again, and my parents said if they find nothing wrong with me again the doctors will start to discredit me. Sometimes I feel like God is telling me to stop worrying, nothings wrong with me, sometimes I hear something telling me that something is wrong with me, and it upsets me because I don't know what is going on. I am constantly worrying and crying about this. I am a seemingly healthy, active almost-16 year old who tries to eat healthily, and I don't have any other symptoms like diabetes. What should I do?

Re: I think something is wrong with my kidneys, very worried

Hey!

I also had a pain in my lower back a few months ago while I was on a trip for 3 weeks. I thought it was my kidneys but it went away in time. From this experience, I now assume it was probably gas or bad posture. Anxiety can make you very tense also which can change your posture around as well. If you had a kidney infection, your urine would have a very noticeable brownish tinge to it - so you'd know it. Also, if your doctor felt alarmed to tell you you had infection, he would have called you immediately. As with thirst, I believe that comes with anxiety as well because I get that too.

I know HA is tough to handle because I've been dealing with it since as far back as I can remember but you need to understand (as do I), that you're going to be okay in the long run. If you had something major to worry about, you'd be in the hospital. Try finding a hobby or something to take your mind off of worrying.

Thread Information