Thread: HOLIDAY FEAR

HOLIDAY FEAR

HI ALL
    YESTERDAY I BOOKED A WEEKS HOLS IN FRANCE AND HAVE BEEN VERY SCARED SINCE
    I SOMEHOW GOT TALKED INTO DOING FERRY CROOSING THAT TAKES 5 HRS NOT THE HOUR HALF DOVER CALAIS ONE THIS ALONG WITH JUST BEING AWAY IS MAKING ME FEEL ILL
    I THOUGHT I WOULD FEEL BIT NERVY BUT WANTED TOO GO BUT DIDNT THINK ID BE THIS BAD REALLY WISH I HADNT BOOKED IT I WONT FLY SO DONT WANT TO STOP GOING ON BOATS BUT FEEL SICK AND GOT TERRIBLE HEADACHE AND STILL GOT TILL SUNDAY TO WAIT
    DAN

Hi Dan

Good on you for choosing to go on holiday. You are worrying so much because you don't know what to expect on this ferry journey but as the scouts say be prepared. By this i mean take things with you to help distract you from the length of the journey like take a book, listen to some music, if there is a tv watch that, get something to eat anything that uses up your time and keeps your mind busy. If you have had CBT use the methods you were taught there like deep breathing, turning negative thoughts into positives. Heres an example- I want to go on holiday but to get there i have to take make a long ferry journey but of all my holiday it is only going to be a small part, the majority of the holiday i will be having fun.

Dan try not to think too much about the journey but rather about the fun on holiday u will have-try to relax.

Nicola
    xxx

Oh Dan Hun,you are all worked up and letting the fear of fear get the better of you,we all do it mate!Try and go back to the original idea of going on holiday ,to see a place you want to see..to relax and enjoy yourself..wow a boat Trip,FANTASTIC!..change your thought pattern now Dan ,see it as a wonderful thing to look forward too,keep doing it ..re-programme your brain!See yourself,smiling and happy ,enjoying every minute of your journey.Dont look for fear look for joy..the feeling is very similar,a jerky tummy etc,swop one decription of the feeling for the other,and you are on your way,Keep at tit tho!!Let us know how you get on.Thinkin of you .love mary-rose.xxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

Hi Dan and well done on booking your holiday, you will be fine hun, take plenty of things to keep you occupied and don't think about the journey it will be over before you know it and you will soon be in France having a superb time.
    Remember think positive thoughts and kick the negative ones out, you will be fine.

Good luck and enjoy,

Polly x

Hi Dan,

I don't think it really matters if the crossing takes 5 minutes or 5 hours, you are most likely panicking in anticipation of it. During five hours, hopefully you will have plenty to do, and there might even be a bar?

Seriously, even if you are not into that, make sure you have plenty of distraction.

So many people worry about going on holiday and then they post on here and say how well it went.

You ought to read PanicDiva's post here Went on holidy & loved it!!!

Ray
    http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Hi Dan,

Well done for booking the holiday to France. I know its hard but you have to try and distract yourself from thinking about the ferry journey (which will be fine!!!) Think about what you've got to pack, go out shopping for things to take with you.

Once you get on the ferry you'll do great, i've been on a ferry many times (overnights mainly) and i've always loved it, theres bars!!!! and plenty of things to do. Before you know it you'll be in sunny France having a brilliant time!!!

Take care.

Marie XXX

Well done Dan!
    you will be fine,just try not to think about getting there as it will be over befor you no it hun.Think about where your going instead and all the lovely things your going to see and doxxxx

hi dan

i'm sure youu will be fine, as others have said distraction will help and the journey will fly past if you have others things to occupy you

have a great holiday

Flutterby xx

Hi Dan

I know exactly how u feel

Ive just come back from holidaying in spain. The night before I was worried to death but came on here and got reassured. You no wot i was fine it was just the anticipatory thing. i took books, games, mp5 player and just waffled on about everything. The flight there was fine - i even fell asleep for a little while which is not like me.

I did not worry about flight home until the actual day which was brill.

Hope u have brill time and look forward to hearing about it when you get back. Thinking of you.

Bobsy

Hi Dan,
    Don't know if it's of any use but my sister bought some special wrist bands for her daughter who was going on a trip. Her daughter gets really panicky about being travel sick (though we think it's the FEAR of being sick that makes her feel that way)
    They're called Sea-Bands and were £7.95 from Tesco but I expect all chemists would do them too. There are instructions to follow as to where to position them on the wrist and, for her daughter at least, they seemed to work.
    I know they're obviously meant to combat actual travel sickness but you never know, they may have some effect on your anxieties!

HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY ANYWAY!!!!

Magz
    x

Thread Information