Thread: Fluoxetine - bad side effects 3rd time around :(

Fluoxetine - bad side effects 3rd time around :(

Hello,

I've taken fluoxetine on three different occasions since 2003.

After experiencing some violent obsessional thoughts concerned with harming others and myself I went on it in 2003 and remained on it until early 2008. It generally worked quite well, reduced the incidence of the 'pure o' thoughts and I tolerated it well with no side effects that I can recall.

Following 8 months off it in 2008 I went back on it again after feeling very low, and remained on it until August last year. I then started feeling tense and fidgety - which I attributed to the fluoxetine - and decided to come off it and try citalopram which didn't work (made me really tense and hyper). Thus for most of the last year I have not been on any medication.

After Christmas I made a concerted effort to start taking care of my health more. I pretty much stopped drinking, did more exercise, improved my diet etc. While I started feeling much more motivated and healthy, gradually the intrusive thoughts started returning. I also started to get periods of occasional tenseness and agitation (I don't know what triggered them) despite having nothing to worry about - whenever I had these experiences, the intrusive thoughts became magnified considerably.

I tried another medication (clomipramine) which made me sick before I decided to go back onto fluoxetine (20mg), which I had lived a comparatively normal life on before. However, after 3 weeks back on it I feel shaky, tense, have had disturbed sleep, have felt pessimistic, on edge, and the intrusive thoughts have remained as well. The question is - why am I having such a reaction to this medication this time around? For those that had a similar reaction, how long did it take before these side effects went away?

Many thanks for listening!
    Peter

Re: Fluoxetine - bad side effects 3rd time around :(

Hi Peter. Sorry you're having a rough time at the moment. My first thought about your reacting differently this time around to Fluoxetine is because your body changes as you grow (obvious statement). You can develop new allergies, lose old allergies, react differently to different stimuli, etc. I wouldn't let it freak you out.

I was on Citalopram for 10 years and recently switched to Fluoxentine. It kicked my a$$ for a good 3-4 weeks...shakiness, hyperactivity, insomnia, anxiety,depression and some other things. But those things have died down and I'm doing much better. I also see two people (my pastor and a counselor) for regular sessions to talk about my negative thoughts and such. I would greatly encourage you (and everyone) to find someone to talk to. It's so important to be able to get your thoughts out there and to process through them. I hope you feel better soon. Keep us posted.

I amon fluox second time around. Had no side effects fisrt time but second time Had it all! and so much worse than the panic anxiety and depression before starting this med again. it took me about 5 weeks before i was having better days. The first 2 weeks were fine but weeks 2-5 were horrendous. now about 9 weeks and am feeling good. Stick it out! PM me if you want.

Thanks guys I guess its just a case of sticking it out for 10 weeks to see if they have an effect on my mood. I just hope that I can get back to how I was before. I've started worrying that one of the other medications I tried has had a lasting effect on my brain - I've been wondering whether I'll ever get well again lately :(

Will be seeing the doctor today to discuss things - will ask if I can get something to keep the physical effects of the medications down while I get used to them. Propranolol 80mg didn't seem to do anything for the tenseness/agitation I've been feeling...

Will keep you updated as to how I am.

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

Grrr...was at the docs today and they finally got a letter through from a psychiatrist I had an assessment with - In the psychiatrist's appointment I mentioned to him that in the past I occasionally felt tense/agitated on the fluoxetine but since then, looking back on it I think it worked to keep the obsessive thoughts at bay - I felt so much better back then than I did just now! The psychiatrist wants to try a different, higher dose of an SSRI possibly coupled with a low dose of an antipsychotic.

After reading this letter the doctor I saw today wants to stop the fluoxetine and put me on paroxetine even though I want to give fluoxetine another chance. She gave me a prescription for paroxetine which I don't want to take - I just want to let the fluoxetine work this time! Do you think I should make an app with another GP and tell them that I definitely want to stick with the fluox? Its just causing me additional worry :s

It's your choice Peter - if you're not happy with changing meds, you're not likely to do as well on them, you know you better than anyone. Have you got enough Fluox to see you over the next week? If you think you can ride out the side effects at the moment and can see the light - stick with it. You can always try the Parox when you've given the Fluox a good chance if no better. Hope tomorrow is better for you X

Hi Sam,
    Yes I have enough to see me over the next 9 weeks actually - I had another appointment the week before and the Doctor I saw gave me 60 capsules which I now have in my possession.

Yesterday was an absolute nightmare - felt like I was about to lose control at any minute around 6pm so had to use a couple of diazepam (which I'm running out of) just to chill out and relax. I feel a bit better today though but last night I just couldn't sleep, was shaking and had to keep moving my legs to loosen the tension. Just hope that things improve from now on in :s

Been taking it for four weeks now and I'm having my doubts about it. I feel shaky, slightly sick, agitated and tense yet weak at the same time. I feel even more tense around 30 minutes after eating something, even if its comparatively low in sugar.

I'm not having as many intrusive OCD thoughts, however. Would you say I should give it a little longer?

Thread Information