Thread: prozac following 5-htp?

prozac following 5-htp?

hello everyone, first day on the forum and second day on prozac here. i just saw my doctor yesterday for the first time concerning my problems with anxiety and she prescribed a 10mg capsule of fluoxetine (it doesn't have a brand name but i'm calling it prozac just for simplicity's sake). now, i believe very strongly that my problems are rooted in a chemical imbalance, because i have been this way as far back as i can remember (even as a child), so i am actually somewhat excited about the medication. it's bittersweet of course, but i am hoping for the best.

anyway, i worked at a vitamin store for a while several months ago and i started taking 5-htp for myself. originally i started at 50mg at night, then 100mg, then 200mg, as i felt myself building a resistance to it. i was taking it for about 5 or 6 months, but i do plan on stopping now that i'm taking the prozac (and i just don't think it works as well anymore). i took my first pill yesterday after work and haven't touched the 5-htp yet. so here is where my question lies.

everything i've read and heard says prozac probably won't kick in for at least a couple weeks. this morning, however, i woke up more alert and calm than i have in a really, really long time. i don't know if it's a placebo effect, or if it's because i didn't smoke a joint right before bed last night, or if the prozac is actually working that quickly on me. my hypothesis was that the 5-htp had already opened up my serotonin receptors (or something, idk anything about chemistry :P) so my body doesn't need to restart that process? does that make sense?

anyway, what are your experiences with 5-htp and prozac if there are any? i appreciate the information, i'm trying to be as educated about this medication as i can so i don't do anything stupid :P

thanks!

Re: prozac following 5-htp?

Hi, welcome to NMP, nice to hear that you have enjoyed a good night's sleep.

I have never used 5-htp but am currently taking fluoxetine. My advice would be to not mix the two. I wonder if it would be similar to St John's wart which it is recommended should not be taken with prozac? Did your doctor offer any advice in this respect? Your hypothesis about serotonin levels already being raised does sound reasonable, but I think it more likely that not smoking cannabis has aided your restful night as any stimulant such as that and alcohol or caffeine can make anxiety symptoms worse.

I am just starting to feel a lot better as a result of taking proxac.

I'm no expert but hope my advice is of some use, stick with it, and good luck

Re: prozac following 5-htp?

i have stopped taking the 5-htp, i really have no attachment to it anymore. the prozac is just like an upgrade in my head, so i take that instead.

last night when i tried to sleep it was impossible, my mind was going so fast and i couldn't calm it down. i even tried the relaxation techniques that my doctor gave me a handout for, and i couldn't focus long enough for it to help. i had smoked before bed and i'm sure it contributed to the mood. the strangest thing was after a while, i heard a loud sudden scream in my head, out of nowhere, and it jolted me out of bed. i wrote in my journal and managed to fall asleep after that, 2-3 hours after i initially wanted to sleep.

i still woke up feeling great though, which makes me think it may have something to do with the timing of when i took my prozac (as well as the size of the spliff i smoked :P). that kind of anxiety at night i haven't felt in a long time, so i believe it's probably a side effect of the medication. tonight i won't smoke as much (size really does matter) and hopefully it'll be better. when i smoke at other points in the day it never bothers me like that even a little bit.

i'm sure i sound like the world's biggest stoner, but it really has helped me greatly in the past, with incredibly few bad experiences. it's a lifestyle i enjoy and don't believe is wrong. plus when i smoke i don't have the urge to drink nearly as much (or ever), and drinking is soooooo much worse for your health. sorry, just feel the need to defend myself a little. always have to do that in a public space like this, because i know it's still a bit taboo, and i don't want it to sound like i'm just being stupid.

i've been keeping a journal about my prozac experience which will help me remember what to tell my doctor when i go back in a couple weeks. i think i'm dealing with this alright. at least i'm at a stage in my life where i finally feel like i'm moving forward.

Thread Information