Thread: agoraphobic with panic disorder prescribed sertraline need some advice please..

agoraphobic with panic disorder prescribed sertraline need some advice please..

hi,,,i have suffered with panic attacks for 14 years but the last 3 years i have been feeling more and more anxious,and then in the last 18 months my dr says im agoraphobic,i can still go out but when im out i feel dreadful,anyway,iv tried cbt and that has not really helped,my dr has given me a prescription for sertraline 50mg but said i could start on 25mg if i was more comfortable with that,he has also given me a prescription for 5mg valium as about 12 years ago i was put on lustral which i believe is sertraline and it made my anxiety worse and i felt awful..i am scared to try it again as i never want to feel that bad again but i cant handle feeling like this either,i cry most days and hate myself as i cant do the things i want to do with my kids...i was wondering if anyone has taken this for agoraphobia and whether it has worked or not, i know everyone is different but id still like some info please...
    thank-you kerry..

Re: agoraphobic with panic disorder prescribed sertraline need some advice please..

Hi Kerry.
    I have not suffered from agoraphobia but I had severe anxiety and depression which I am taking sertraline for. I have now been on 50mg for about 12 weeks and although my anxiety did become a lot worse to begin with it is now well under control. I have read a lot of posts from people on different antidepressants and it seems most feel worse before they feel better.
    I think knowing that my heightened anxiety was due to the sertraline and that it would soon pass helped me through the bad times.
    I hope whatever you decide to do you soon start to feel an improvement.

Re: agoraphobic with panic disorder prescribed sertraline need some advice please..

Hi Erin31
    thanks for replying..yea i have done some research which i know i shouldnt, and have found that alot of people get side effects with antidepressants...did you start off on 50mg? or a lower dose...also did you take anything for the side effects/heightened anxiety?? like valium??..i know im being silly but im just so scared..i probably will take them and now is prob the best time cos as from today the kids will be off school and i dont have to be doing school runs and that if i am feeling more anxious...

Hi Kerry.
    I started on 50mg which I was due to increase after 2 or 3 weeks but am doing well at the moment so have not done so.
    I was told by my GP he would give me diazepam if needed, to help me through the worst of my anxiety but I never actually needed to take it.
    I was also very reluctant to start Sertraline after reading about the side effects and posts from people who have had terrible experiences with antidepressants but what you have to remember is that millions of people are on antidepressants and the bad reports we read online are a minute percentage of those people. That companies make so much money out of these medications is due to the fact that they do, a lot of the time work.
    I was so terrified to start taking Sertraline that a friend suggested I search online for good reviews only and there are a great many out there which gave me the courage to start taking it.
    I was on another antidepressant Venlafaxine (effexor) for many years for nerve pain and felt no fear or quilt at all about taking it but when it comes to taking the same medication for anxiety or depressant it is suddenly wrong and people are constantly telling us not to take it.
    I know many people who are on medication for various illnesses and these also have terrible side effects but noone suggests that these people stop taking it.

I wish I could tell you that Sertraline would work for you but I can't. It is up to you to decide if you want to try it but I can honestly say Sertraline has turned my life around for the best and I hope it continues to do so as now I am taking it and living my life to the full I have no intention of stopping it, ever!

Hi,

I've been on Lustral for Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia, GAD and Severe recurrent depression.

I started on 25mg, and 5mg diazepam 3 x times a day. I'm currently on 75mg. One and a half 50mg tablets.

I would suggest starting with 25mg and using your diazepam.

Good Luck.

Haz. x

Morning..

Thank-you both for your replies...I think I will start with the lower dose as I reckon I will be more comfortable with that...Like in my own mind!!
    Why is it such a struggle?? Wish I was just brave enough to go do it now...
    I am pleased that the sertraline has helped you so much erin31,and I do try to focus more on the good reviews rather than the bad,and I know I will probably work myself up into a panic the first time I take them cos thats how it is!!
    Does the medication work for you Haz??

hey there. i was given sertraline for agoraphobia and it was hard at first but i'm about 5 months in now and it has helped loads.

hi ckyrule...
    thanks for replying...i suppose i will just have to take them and see what happens...altho its great to hear it is working for you and other people

Hi

Just thought Id throw my two and nine in here. Im also on sertraline(Lustral) and it has been a godsend for me. Ive been on it for 5 months now ( I had anxiety and depression and was becoming agorophobic) I take 50mg a day and it did increase my anxiety for a short while but I took the odd diazepam as the doc recommended and got through it fairly unscathed! It took me ages to pluck up the courage to take the first one but glad I did as im now anx free most of the time depression has gone and i can now go out and about without panicking. Give it a try it might work for you too. It does take a few weeks but worth it in the end.

Good Luck

Mo X

Hiya...
    Thanks for messaging...
    I know i will take one in the end its so silly i just havent as you said plucked up the courage yet...on one hand i just think god sake girl just do it,but the other hand is sayin na not yet...im really pleased they have helped you and i really hope wen i get round to taking them they will help me too... x x

Thread Information