Thread: Is the claire weekes method any good?

Is the claire weekes method any good?

I've been reading it and I'm trying to apply what she's advising to my life. It seems to be helping a bit. Just wondering if it's helped anyone?

ren

Hi ren, it does work but it is quite hard to implement at times. You have to be in the right frame of mind to give it a go as it is not easy. i did it last year and it helped me.

Take care
    Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Hi Ren,

Yes it definitely helped me when I was at my worst. I think the main way it assists is that it explains what is happening and it's usually the not knowing what's going on that gets you in such a state in the early days ("I'm going mad" etc).

I have two of her books and I have read them a number of times. I still revisit certain sections if I feel myself slipping a bit. I went through a very bad period of waking at night with panics. Since then, if that happened, I switched the light on and had a quick read - it seemed to calm me enough to get a good night's sleep. I haven't had to do that for months now.

Good stuff, although it might work better in conjunction with a bit of therapy, which is how I did it. Also, as you progress through your illness, different parts become more relevant than when you first read it.

Hope that helps.

Eeb x

Hi ren,

i have started to read one of her books and it does seem to calm me down at times and can make my rational side show a bit more..

Flutterby xx

thanks guys. I think I'm feeling a bit better today, but it's so hard to tell as I still feel pretty rotten. Off to see my shrink in an hour or so, I just hope she can help me.

ren

Yes, it is good. It works and, in my opinion, forms the basis of all treatment that is pushed today. Other "methods" are often just the principles of Claire Weekes work dressed up and re-packaged for today's market.

The basic principles are facing, accepting, relaxing, and letting time pass which seem to form the cornerstones of all recovery methods that I have seen when you cut through the blurb.

I'd say maybe the only area that wasn't pushed enough for me (or maybe I didn't take it on board) was the effect of thoughts.

Thoughts = Feelings = Behaviour pattern and how all of that stuff can link in with low self esteem etc. but that's about it.

Try not to measure progress on a daily scale. This is one of the big traps and why she mentions letting time pass. But letting time pass while putting in the place the other principles otherwise nothing is going to change!

Good luck,

Cheers,
    Trev

Re: Is the claire weekes method any good?

I am working my way through the "Essential" book and I'm wondering...

..if and when I get to see someone about possible CBT, is that going to be more or less the same thing? Facing and accepting, etc?

If I've been struggling with all this anx+panic this for a month or so, but I'm getting by (just) without drugs, would there be much to be gained by giving in to taking sertraline - because my productivity at work is suffering? Do I just soldier on without the pills because I've made it so far? Pills scare me more than the panic right now!

What exactly do I have to do? Is it ever OK to distract myself? Do I keep my mind busy so that 1st F doesn't happen? Do I distract myself to stop 2nd F coming? Or do I do something completely new to me - allow 1st F to come and then just casually observe it without worrying about it or trying to distract myself from it? That's a pretty tall order for someone so traumatised by it!

thanks

Thread Information