Thread: When should you be concerned about change in bowel habits?

When should you be concerned about change in bowel habits?

As you know, there has been a media drive to go to the GP if you have any changes in bowel habits.

Now for the past 3/4 weeks, I've been a bit "looser" when going to the toilet , nothing major and not all the time, for example I went this morning (normal), got into work and a bit looser (sorry if TMI) but does this mean I've got to go to the doctor?

I'm a stressy person and of course am thinking the worse (I'm 45).

I had a colonoscopy done Nov 09 - would that give me some reassurance that things aren't too bad?

Re: When should you be concerned about change in bowel habits?

I have constant loose bowel movements/diarrhea and have done for many many many months but it is normal for me if that makes sense.

If it is not normal for you then I would pop and see the doc

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

if u r stressed that can make u go more and anxiety can too. my dad says if u have blood in yr stools thats when u go to ur gp but like nic said if u r worried then go along to see yr gp wont hurt just to check

I've had diaherrea every single day. It starts the minute I wake up then it's continuous at least 3-4 times in the space of half an hour... I don't have any abdominal pain or blood my GP done a blood test & said it's anxiety.. I'm pretty confused as it can't be normal I have even tried eliminating certain foods out of my diet I'm not sure if I have IBS as there's no cramping or constiapation. I'm going to see my GP again on Thurs to see if she can organise a stool test.

I hope that you feel better soon

I am the same as you Carmen and things get so bad that I am having to use suppositories so I can go to work inbetween needing the loo!

Mine is IBS I am sure, though I do have Crohn's as well.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Have you been to your GP nomorepanic? I have my appt again on Thurs & I'm dreading it so much I feel physically sick I'm that worried..
    I'm also not sure if I have piles as my bottom get's sore especially when I have been to the loo often. I used Anusol for a week but the problem returns it's seem's to be one thing after another with HA I mean can anxiety really cause diahorrea every day ? can we be anxious & not know it? My GP says that I suffer with anxiety but I'm not too sure & the symptoms are very real.. I also have an appt to see a mouth consultant as I have had a soreness under my tongue for a number of months that come's & goes although it is there more often than not so that's another worry as my dentist doesn't know why it's a nightmare& so draining ...

Yes Carmen - I am seeing a gynaecologist as things are worse before and during my period and I had a sigmoidoscopy in May and that showed that I had diverticular, a polyps (they removed it), the lower end of the bowel was very inflammed and I believe they said I have Colitis as well as the Crohn's.

They have told me to keep using the suppositories when I need to but I think I need to work out what foods are triggering it and avoid them.

Oh the joys eh?

Poor you, I hope that you feel better soon.. I don't usually need the loo in the day it's always first thing in the morning & it doesn't change during my period.. I have had every part of my body examined because of the HA but my bottom is quite something else I'm dreading Thurs when I see my GP & I'm also very scared that there is something wrong as my bottom keep's getting very uncomfortable but yes it's one thing after another ...

You could have piles as you said and they can be treated if they are troublesome.

My diarrhea is worse in the morning and day and gets better in the evening but it is still a blooming pain cos I need to go out to work on and off and it is embarrassing to need the loo when you get to a clients house lol

Jenny - what have you decided to do?

I hope you get yours sorted soon.

Thread Information