Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just took my first Citalopram

Just took my first Citalopram

I have suffered from an anxiety disorder for around 7 years now, it mostly flares up in crowded situations and open spaces. After pestering my Doctor for months he finally gave in and decided to prescribe me Citalopram.

I'm on 10mg a day and I have just taken my first one and thought posting my progress on here might help me stay objective about it and not get distracted and anxious about any side effects I may experience. I was prescribed 20mg Citalopram around 8 months ago by a different doctor but ended up quitting after 3 days as I woke up in the mist of a massive panic attack. Hopefully this time will go smoother an I stick with it!

Re: Just took my first Citalopram

I am on day 8 of 10mg cit. You have done really well and made a positive step towards a more happier and calmer life. We all help each other on here. The people on here are amazing. I wish you luck and hope you are one of the lucky ones and get little or no se's xxxx

Hi Laura! Thanks for the support! How is it going for you so far?

Not really had any side effects yet thankfully, appetites fine too. The only thing I have noticed is that everything feels slightly off somehow but its no problem really. Also when I yawn I get a strange sensation in my head and sort of go dizzy for a second, I've never experienced this aside from while on Citalopram so I presume it's some sort of side effect.

So far so good!

I suffer the same sort of anxiety to you but alas, citalopram was not for me and I had the same side effects you describe.

Have you tried CBT, I am having it atm and have been making slow but positive progress in the right direction. May be worth considering too.

Well done on taking your first tablet and I wish you every success in your treatment. I know there are members here who have found it to be a very beneficial medication.

Good luck, Kitti

I was supposed to go CBT months ago but there was some mix up apparently and they never got back to me. My Doctor said he would chase it up when he prescribed me the Citalopram as he's had this complaint before about them not replying to people, so hopefully I'll hear from them soon and get that on the go as well.

Hi.

I have been on Citalopram now around 5 months and i take 20mg daily as my doc said 10mg is okay for depression,but a higher dose was better for panick anxiety attacks after i had been on 10mg initially.

The only side effect i seem to be getting is i feel a little tired first thing in the morning,other then that they are working well,and any small side effect is better then putting up with the illness for me.

The chances are it make you feel worse at first until your body settles down,so i would say stick with it for a while,but as with all meds its not for everybody.

Richard.

I am finding it pretty tough but I am trying my hardest to tough it and I am determined to get through it for a better life !

Second day: Definitely feel different to yesterday, which is understandable as the Cit is building up in my system. Everything feels a bit fuzzy and unreal, coupled with a mild headache and sore throat.

Slept okay last night, woke up at one point rather anxious but managed to calm down fairly quickly with some breathing techniques.

Not been outside at all yet, luckily I don't have to go anywhere for the next few days as the thought of going outside and experiencing SE's is somewhat daunting. Although i suppose it would be better to get out there and interact with the word whilst on the meds.

Well done, sounds like you are managing well...the SE's sound quite mild so I hope that's as bad as it gets for you. Keep at it!! Best of luck, Kitti

Thanks Kitti!
    Developed a new side effect in the last few hours, my eyes are stinging, like when your really tired and they get sore. This is by far the most annoying SE I've had so far. Sitting in the garden seems to help. the light is mild and its peaceful out there.
    Got my dog with me too who's wonderful at distracting me from any anxious thoughts with all his shenanigans!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information