Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blocked eustachian tube (ear)

Re: Blocked eustachian tube (ear)

I juat found out I have ear congestion and mucus is pushing against my ear drums. At first it wasn't painful at all and then all of a sudden BOOM the headaches became painful quickly, my ears were in pain and ringing started I went to Walgreens since my doctor is at the world cup and I ended up getting this nasal spray that didn't work at all so then they gave me a steroid called Prednisone. I've been on it for almost three days and I feel 50% better considering I play softball and I feel worse after it. I know most of you are probably over with but I'm wondering how long the ringing last? It bothers me the most because I hear high pitch ringing outside and only a low ringing that I can hear when I'm in a silent room. Is it just the fluid pushing against my eardrum causing the ringing? Does placing a heating pad on my ears actually make the pressure go away a little? The thumping is pretty annoying too.

The posts are pretty old but Abbyrose your's seems to be the newest so far.. i hope you've cured your blocked ear.. if so any tips? Here is what has happend to me.. over a week ago I had been getting sinus pain around my left eye and headache also stinging left nostril... so after those symptoms went away a couple days later I got a massive left ear pain around midnight, then that whole night I was in pain took a couple pain killers then fell asleep. Woke up with stuffy ear with an ongoing ringing sound... I went doctor he gave me ear drops called otodex.. Hasn't done nothing I think the ear drops don't even go all the way down in there...I basically feel deaf in the left ear very clogged up and constant ringing... feeling very upset. I've tried everything but nothing works...
    I'm also very active (run) so this is very distressing to me...I don't know how long I can take the ringing sound... it's really pissing me off! just wanted to share my story... thanks for everyone for sharing theirs...

I have suffers with this for a while and m currently being reffrered it's very miserable and want answer docs jut think y mad,,, I'm beginning to thin it's something serious :(

I'm waiting for ENT appointment...ear blockage is really getting me down. In desperation I was going to try Otovent and googled it for success stories. This made me laugh so much my ear nearly unblocked itself. Enjoy! http://youtu.be/cPnCp9bfCGA

I just went through this recently. I developed, what I think, was a sinus infection and blocked Eustachian tube. I had went camping with my family and when we got back I noticed I felt off balance when I walked around the house. It got pretty bad, I got head pressure, ear pressure, face pressure. It was so exhausting. I went to see my GP and he told me it was the blocked Eustachian tube and gave me steroid nasal spray. I didn't feel that made any difference so I went and saw my sons E.N.T. He gave me a course of steroid pills and antibiotics and said I had a sinus infection. I did not have any drainage, sore throat, headache, nothing just the pressure and clogged up feeling ear. I took the medication and on the very last day of the 10 day course of antibiotics I noticed I started to feel a lot better. The off balance feeling started to go away and the pressure was going away. Now a month later it's completely gone. I don't think it was bacterial I think it was viral and that is why it took a while to go away. I really hope you feel better soon!!!

---------- Post added at 13:22 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

Oh and the E.N.T suggested Afrin nasal spray. It did help a lot!

I see this is old but wanted to share my story in case it could help anyone…and to see if anyone else has ideas. My problems started the tail end of December 2013. I had had congestion and then one morning, I woke up thinking i was hearing the furnace…to realize it was my head! I was freaking out. I called the dr who said it was ear fluid and put me on Nasonex and sudafed. Of course in the meantime I had given myself a brain tumor and all sorts of things. A coupls of days later, I got the ringing in my ears. I thought I was going to go insane. GP gave me an antibiotic. My ears started to clear….but then they felt so raw and sensitive to the slightest sound. And i have 2 little kids so imagine little kids sounds! ENT is not concerned at all. Said it's fluid, sometimes it pulses (the ringing) because of where the fluid may be.

I have major health anxiety in the best of times - but this was so upsetting. Nonstop loud ear ringing. Went to ENT, had a whole battery of audio tests. My hearing was totally fine and ear structure was fine.Dr said it could take a couple of weeks up to a few months…frustrating - but at least there seemed like an end. In the meantime, I had been taking Xanax to sleep.

Now it's October, and it's not resolved. BUT it has gotten better. The ringing is not so loud anymore. And it comes and goes. Most of the time there is a noise…but usually its a background sound, like "shhhhhh." I won't lie, it sucks. But it is a lot more manageable. I bought something called the Otovent (look on Amazon). It's like blowing a ballon with your nose. Sounds weird, but it helps. I still get that "i hear the furnace" whossing sound in my ear. That is the worst when that happens (about monthly) because it's so annoying and makes me think i have a tumor…though logically I know I don't.

I just started seeing a functional medicine doctor. They look at treating the underlying cause, not just the symptoms. So my dr thinks i have inflammation, possibly candida, that may be causing the fluid. Oh! also sometimes my sinuses get really sore…like if I tap on them I get a vibrating feeling…especially when my ears are feeling full.

Very long I know, but wanted to share. I have to believe that if there is no structural cause that we will be healed. Everything I've read says it takes a while. A looooong while. Supplements (under the direction of a doctor), diet, chewing gum and other thins I am sure will help. Please share your tips and successes!

[QUOTE=Dan21;1017989]Hello again.

I posted last week as I've had a full feeling in my ear for a week. I had a pretty bad bout of flu a couple of weeks ago and this ear problem came on a few days after the flu had eased. I went to the doctors because as well as the full feeling my hearing in the left ear has dropped to about 70% and it sounds like someone has turned the bass up in that ear also. It's a really, really horrible sensation that is there from morning til night. It does appear to ease a bit during the day but it's worse early morning and late evening. There is also a constant tinnitus that is extremely frustrating.

The doctor said that there is fluid behind my ear and it will get better on it's own but I've been on antibiotics for two days now with no real change. She said that the fluid causes an imbalance in the inner ear and should drain off in a week or two but SURELY there should have been even the smallest improvement after a week of impaired hearing?? I feel so helpless with this, if I'd broken my leg I could rest or if I had a cut I know it'd heal but after Googling how long it takes for eustachian tubes to drain it seems like this could be a permanent problem as many seem to not get better. Plus, there are people saying that this could be a sign of a benign tumour...which is doing my health anxiety no end of good.

If anyone has had any experience of similar I'd love to hear how long it took to clear up for you.

Thanks,

Oh my god, I could have written this myself!!!! I have EXACTLY the same problem at the moment x

Yes I have had this it last ages !!!!! I get it and then dosnt unblock untill atleast 6 months it's horrible hope u feel better soon x

Hi Everyone,

Appears I am the newest with this problem. About 2 weeks ago I had a flu/cold. I recovered (or so I thought) after about 5 days. Went on normally for 2 days. Then I started to feel my ears plug. Stupidly, I had a hot shower and let the water pressure flow right into both ears for awhile, thinking it would help. I think I made the problem way worse. It is now 5 days later, and I can hardly hear out of both ears. My left ear is significantly worse. It's been ear pressure and some minor pain, but I'm dealing with massive tinnitus in both ears. The ringing never stops. I can totally relate to you all, as it is depressing and I have started to wonder if this is something that's going to go away at all. I've seen a doctor and he said I had an outer ear infection in both ears and prescribed me Locacorten Vioform ear drops. I've used them for 3 days and have not found any improvement yet. I am to go back in a week if my ears don't improve. I am feeling desperate, googling the topic and trying random things. I've tried ear wax drops, rubbing alcohol/vinegar drops, steamy showers, blow drying in ear, bought a humidifier but nothing helps. It is easy to cycle into serious depression with the results found on the net on this topic. That's why I've promised myself that if I improve I will definitely write about it. I am trying to remain optimistic although it is VERY difficult. Looking for any similar situations and recovery stories would be appreciated.

UPDATE: So it's been over a week that my ears have been plugged as well as having non stop tinnitus. Sometimes I wonder if my hearing is getting better but I think I'm just getting used to the loss of hearing/tinnitus. I don't think there has been any improvement. Ear drops cleared my outer ear infection but that was it. I have an ENT appointment in one week. Will provide an update after that. After researching extensively, I think I have glue ear though it's just a guess. Hoping the ENT will give me a diagnosis. I found a product online called Otovent. It's supposed to help drain fluid trapped in the middle ear and treat glue ear. The positive reviews are hard to ignore. I ordered one and am waiting on that. Will update on the results. Just one thing to anyone else going through this, it DOES get easier coping with the hearing loss and tinnitus. You start to get used to it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information