Thread: need help with fluoxetine

need help with fluoxetine

i went to the doctors today and she put me on fluoxetine for my depression, i took one today and felt abit happier but felt abit light headed and dizzy later on at night, but i am going on holiday in 2 days time and i have read that you start having side affects after the first week up until the 4-5 week.

is this true ? and what side affects would i experience as i dont want to spend all holiday feeling crap

im 17 if that makes any difference

Re: need help with fluoxetine

hey there. I think everyone is different in this one. I was all psyched out for my side effects to start and I am on day 15 and nothing has happened. (i do feel calmer though). But some people can react badly and I know that's not super reassuring, but you have to remember there is no way to know unless you try. The common side effects would be being kind of dizzy, a headache, or feeling a bit edgy. I am 30 now and have been on all types of ssri's but I first took Prozac when I was 15 and didn't know anything about side effects at that time so I didn't have any because I wasn't looking for them. Enjoy your holiday and don't give those pills a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Amandala View Post
    hey there. I think everyone is different in this one. I was all psyched out for my side effects to start and I am on day 15 and nothing has happened. (i do feel calmer though). But some people can react badly and I know that's not super reassuring, but you have to remember there is no way to know unless you try. The common side effects would be being kind of dizzy, a headache, or feeling a bit edgy. I am 30 now and have been on all types of ssri's but I first took Prozac when I was 15 and didn't know anything about side effects at that time so I didn't have any because I wasn't looking for them. Enjoy your holiday and don't give those pills a thought!
    thanks i wanted to go on prozac but she recommended fluoxetine although it can cause hallucinations,heart/lung problems,etc

Hiya, I've been on/off of Fluoxetine for the past 11 years and the only real side effect I get is is that I feel really tired whilst I'm taking them but obviously different people may get different side effects or none at all. Good luck you'll be fine, just enjoy your holiday! X

Hi! Hope your feeling good today Fluoxetine is the generic for prozac so technically, I am on flouxetine too let us know how you do!

I've been on fluoxetine (20mg) three times in my life. The first two times, between 2003-2008 and between 2008-2011, I had no side effects at any point on it. I went back onto it four weeks ago and have had bad side effects - generally feeling tense, agitated and restless, though I was feeling like that before I went on it to a certain extent. Some people seem to get bad side effects on it, whereas others hardly seem to have any - hope that you're in the latter group!

Stick it out for 6 weeks though even if the side effects are bad - many people give up in the first week or two even though in most cases, the side effects go away. If things are really bad the doctor can give you diazepam or beta blockers to take the edge off the side effects if they're related to an increase in anxiety/agitation.

Thread Information