Thread: Will I know when it kicks in?

Will I know when it kicks in?

I've been on Prozac for a week officially.. After a year of hell of dealing with anxiety/depression.

For the first few days the only symptoms I felt that I didn't normally feel was sharp headaches and jaw aches.

I feel better already though, I've been reading on these boards that it takes 4-6 weeks for it to actually work.

So back to my question that I'm itching to ask! When the pill kicks in fully, will I know for sure? What does it feel like to FINALLY be at that calm/happy point?!

I'm so excited to be out of the tunnel and finally see the light that I'm just dying to be there, but I am itching to hear what it feels like!

-thanks

Re: Will I know when it kicks in?

Hey! No replies yet... But I would just like to give an update for everyone!

I'm currently on week 3. Let me just say..
    ( *caution, good and bad news!* )

While I definitely can tell that the prozac has calmed me down, I have been experiencing some unreal depersonalization/derealization.. I've also have been nauseous for 2 days now!

Despite the hiccups (which I'm assuming will fade over time?); I now am able to DEAL with my anxiety; which was nearly impossible before.. I feel like its slowly starting to kick in . I can finally rationalize!

I just would like a little reassurance though; despite the derealization/depersonalization (which isn't scary anymore, just annoying), will these symptoms diminish? Or should I consider switching to a new pill? I REALLY do not want these symptoms, as they are how this whole nightmare started!

I also dream a lot more. Nothing usually that scary, but they usually include an explosion! Weird hey!?
    Last edited by Tyler1994; 11-08-12 at 11:10.

I think the side efects are likely to diminish,and you should not consider switching until you are sure of the effects of the current drug regime.

Just started week four.. And I don't know what to think. I feel a lot les panicky, but I have so much energy!

It's not happy energy either, its almost annoying. I don't know what to do with myself!

Could this be a common side effect? Is it just happy feelings after depression that I haven't felt in so long? Or something scarier?

I found the side effects wore off after a few weeks although I tend to lack energy rather than have too much. Stick with the meds- you should reach a point where you just realise you feel OK about things (which doesn't sound much but is quite an achievement for us folk with anxiety!!)

I'd give the medication at least 10 weeks.

I'm currently halfway through week 7. I had 5 weeks of feeling on edge - I lost weight, felt like I couldn't sit still, and felt so down. I had been on prozac twice before and never had anything like this.

Then I had around 10 days of feeling great - I felt calmer, could get back to studying semi-effectively, and my appetite returned.

However, around 4 days ago I had a fair amount to drink, messed my sleep pattern up, and drank caffeine (I'd cut that out of my diet). For the last few days I've felt on edge again, haven't been able to sleep, and have had some problems with IBS. I guess that it was a combination of this that made me feel bad again rather than the medication, but I hope that these effects go away again. I think that at the present I'm hyper sensitive to small changes, even something like a change in blood sugar levels!

Thanks guys!

Today is worse than yesterday. I feel stoned!! Which definitely isn't a feeling I want to feel.

And (silly I know) last night I was reading side effects. Suicidal thoughts was one of them, and feelings of harming others. Oh my god I've never been so scared of myself! And I going crazy?? I feel like I'm in a physiological horror movie and I'm the one that's bat shit crazy.

I feel like I don't have emotions either! I can't be completely sad or completely happy! Kind of a numb feeling. Is this going to go away?

I'm scared to take anther but I'm scared of the withdrawal.. :( what should I do!

Hi Tyler
    If it's any consolation I feel pretty similar today. I woke up and felt completely overwhelmed by everything, just walking around my flat was an effort. I felt like a bit of a zombie to be honest so you're not alone in feeling like that - "blunting" of emotions is fairly normal according to my GP.

Re reading the side effects - I've done the same and also worried myself about potentially suffering all of the side effects listed on there But to be honest I kind of use them as reassurance, if I do feel a certain way I just say to myself "it's the pills, it will pass eventually".

I've also had the worry today about whether or not it's ever going to get better - I'll hit 2 weeks tomorrow so am going to have a chat with my GP as I've felt particularly crap today

Hang in there, you're doing great - I wish I was as far along taking them as you!

Thanks! I just need constant reassurance because these feelings are CRAZY!

But even at 4 weeks, with all these horrible feelings, if I wasnt on these pills I would be BEYOND mental by now! I think more rationally now.

Thank you for your reassuring message. You have no idea how it helps!

Tyler, Im on week 5 of citalopram and I still feel bad, much worse than I was before starting the pills, Im waiting until the 6 or 8 weeks mark which is when these things should start to kick in. Some of us are more sensitive to this type of medication and Im just trying to keep calm about it and wait for the feelings to pass.

Stay strong mate I totally understand how you are feeling and last week when I hit the 4 week mark and stiull felt so low and depressed i was gutted, I thought Id be better by then.

Be patient, I know its hard, Im not patient myself but give it time, the very worst should be over now but we still have some shit days or weeks to get through before we can start to recover. x

Thread Information