Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to this & feeling stupid

New to this & feeling stupid

Basically I got addicted to tranquillisers and decided to stop tacking them. My GP will not withdraw me slowly and gives me a very small amount. I have loads of panic attacks, feeling unreal, tense muscles, no concentration, unable to sit still and believe this wont get better. I have been off high doses for 8 weeks now.

My dad died recently, I have a teenager who is four months pregnant. My husband is supportive and drives me to places but the unreal feeling puts me off going into public places. My youngest does not understand what my feelings are despite that I try and tell him how I feel.

Can anyone relate to these feelings and how do you get over this without the need for being "sedated"?

Hi Fran,
    And welcome,i have the same feelings as you aswell,it is called depersonalisation-the feeling of unrealness/in a dreamlike state,it is a scary place to be,but is a fairly common offshoot of anxiety.It does become better with understanding and time.you will find plenty of help and support here and you are definately not alone with what you are feeling.Take care

Kris

Hi Fran,

Aw hun your going through a lot at the minute. We are all here for you and will help in whatever way we can.

Thinking of you

Mandy
    xx

Hi Fran, so sorry you are feeling so rough right now but is it any wonder mate? You are grieving, in shock coping with your teenage, coming off medicines and have a younger child to think about. Try, if possible, to deal with one thing at a time. Take each day slowly. Have a look through all the information on this site, which will help you understand why you are feeling so bad, and that you are certainly not alone in having any of these feelings. take things easy and keep in touch xx

hi fran

this is a feeling tat many people describe and when i get it it is horrible

have you ever read claire weekes " self help for your nerves " which would explain alot

i hope you feel this site will make you feel less alone

jackie

When I am struggling I try to go back to basics - mainly for me this means living only in the day that you are in. Not too much looking to the future and not too much looking in the past.

Concentrate on just the present moment. An example of this is say you are washing up, don't allow yourself to daydream while you are doing it but concentrate on just washing up, describing to yourself how hot the water is, how bubbly it is, what the colour of the plate is. You get the idea - doing this gives your mind a much needed rest from anxious and stressful thoughts.

If you practice doing this while you are carrying out tasks through the day regularly, you get good at it and it helps relieve a stressed head.

Its sometimes referred to a 'mindfulness'!

Try it hun, its not too hard and its free!!!

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Hi.

Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of help and support here.

Scooby2005
    x x

Fran

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope you get some support.

Nicola

Hi Fran and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are going through so much at the moment, I think most people with anxiety can relate to what you are describing, you are certainly not alone hun.

Best wishes,

Polly

Hi Fran,

Welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of help and good friends in here.

Take care.

Marie XXX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information