Thread: propranolol and asthma need an alternative

propranolol and asthma need an alternative

does anyone take beta blockers and have asthma i was prescribed propranolol and they worked brilliantly but made me abit breathless so docctor stopped them and wanted to try the antidepressant route but no matter what i try none agree with me my question is does anyone take this beta blocker or know another one that dosent seem to agrivate asthma betas seem to be my only route but my doctor has said i could die if i take one which is horrible as i have a whole box here that im tempted to start x

Re: propranolol and asthma need an alternative

I'm sure your GP would be happy to talk about alternative medications with you, and they are really the only ones who can advise you as advice needs to be based on many things which people here aren't privy to. You should absolutely NOT take the propranolol you have left if you have an adverse reaction to them though. Please just take them back to the chemist and ask them to dispose of them.

thanks for the reply its frustrating as i took propanolol about 5 years ago and they were a life saver but this time im not sure if its my anxiety is worse this time which is making me more breathless than the tablet ive been looking online for asthma friendly ones and seem to have found a couple but my doctor is on holiday for 2 weeks and dont want have to wait that long as fed up feeling crappy everyday and not being able to go anywhere and im due back at work next week :( the ones ive found are atenolol and bisoporolol has any one had any good experiences with this x

I take Bisporolol and I have asthma

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

hi ive been prescribed bisoprolol tonight at 1.25mg the lowest dose possible and if i get any tightness then im to stop im determined that im not going to let my anxiety get me on this one and fingers crossed it will do the trick as im desperate to get to work next week x

i have asthma and take inhalers for it 2
    i also am on propanalol been on 10mg x3 a day for a couple of months now

I've been to see my GP twice to discuss Anxiety. The first time he referred me for Councelling but I cancelled it and went back to him saying I didn't want that. He then gave me 80mg Propranolol tablets but never mentioned to me anything about it affecting Asthma. Well after taking my first tablet I was exausted with a heavy chest and feeling like I couldn't breathe. I stopped taking them and didn't bother going back to see him (My Fault) couple months later I was in a panic bad about something and decided to try one again, started feeling the same, couldn't breathe, through up right away to try get it out my system and I felt panicky as hell like it didn't relax me at all.

I use a Turbohaler for my Asthma, mixture of reliever and preventer. I think my Anxiety and Allergies and lazyness make my Asthma quite poor.

Thread Information