Thread: Agoraphobia

Agoraphobia

Hi Guys,

I suffered from agoraphobia for years and found that there is only one solution - FACE YOUR FEAR. There is no need for medication because fear is not a disease...it is a natural physical reaction to threat. For e.g. when I used to go to restaurants, I had panic attacks that were so strong that I would actually tremble. The breakthrough came with the realisation that a panic attack does not last forever. When you get an attack, just feel it and whatever you do, don't run away. You will feel the panic increasing - breathing getting shallower, heart pounding, sweating, dizziness and trembling. What happens next is quite surprising - you feel the panic going away - your mind starts to settle and focus, breathing becomes deeper, body calms down and you become confident in the environment. The whole process lasts about 30mins to even 1.5hrs.

As you challenge yourself again and again, your fear reduces - and at a tremendous pace. 90% of my problems went away within the first 3 months.
    Your attitude should be that instead of running away from fear, you actually run to it! Search out all the places that scare you and just stand there (or sit down) - don't leave until the panic is gone. The most challenging thing is to motivate yourself to face the fear and if you are able to do it at every opportunity, it will go away very quickly (even a few weeks). To be honest, I found it very difficult to face every challenging situation but it still worked as long as I faced most of them...

I hope this helps to all those suffering…

Good luck,
    Kunwar

so are u completely cured???

without trying to sound like a doubting thomas

Easier said than done!! I dont disupte what you say it makes perfect sense, but for some its not thats straight forwardl. For me its the constant thoughts that bring on the panic and even after panic susbides I still have the thoughts

Any tips for dealing with thosek, because for me its the thoughts that lead to the panic !!

I like your approach but for some it is not so simple !!

Glad your doing ok though

sue with 5

scknight

Hi,

I am so pleased this worked for you, but some people do find it harder to face their fears than others.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Hi Kunwar
    Well done you!
    love Helen

A big well done to you.

I know this approach works because I have done it on occasion with great success but have to admit I have to be feeling either angry or charged up somehow to actually be in that go and get em mood!!

I find for me what works reasonably consistently is to take it baby steps at a time. Obviously anxiety levels rise and fall in all of us all of the time and while I can have periods of being able to do lots I will get periods where the stress in my life makes it hard for me to get out the door.

When this happens I tend to go back to basics and start the baby steps approach again. Confidence in ourselves is such a hard thing to get back when we lose it but slow and steady often wins the day!

Piglet x

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Hi Guys,

I still get uncomfortable sometimes in social situations but it is quite weak and hardly noticeable by others (humiliation was a big part of avoiding social areas). For me I love to be in an environment that makes me uncomfortable because I don’t see this as a problem anymore but something that makes me stronger – each and every time…

Susan, I understand what you are saying…the thoughts give rise to the panic…I also believed that but the experience has shown me that the thoughts themselves are not the root cause – they arise because of some underlying trauma. I found that there was no need to make the situation so complicated. When you feel the panic attack, just try and feel it – close your eyes and see the symptoms in the body and mind and don’t think of it as something negative and don’t try to control it – just let yourself go…it cleans your mind and settles it down eventually. Given enough time the thoughts will also go away automatically.

I think “Piglet” (I’m sorry but don’t know your name) is right. I’m sure you can do this in baby steps. It should work. I understand sometimes the attack is so strong that it is impossible to stay and you just want to run away. That should be fine as long as you don’t make it a habit. The main issue here is that avoidance increases the fear and for you to reduce it, you have to face it – show your mind that there is nothing to fear…

I hope this helps guys…I have tried to just explain my limited experience and what worked for me…

Bye,
    Kunwar

If it was that easy, there would be no need for websites like this!!!

I appreciate that facing and accepting are major factors in recovering from panic, but for a lot of people it really isnt that simple.

Glad it is working for you though [8D][8D][8D]

Julia x

'Never be afraid to try- remember, amateurs buit the Ark...professionals built the Titanic'

Thread Information