Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Citalopram Diary day 21

Re: Citalopram Diary day 21

I'm really sorry you're having such a tough time. It really does put my side-effects to shame. Being new to this med myself I can't offer any advice but to send some positive vibes your way and to hope that you turn a corner soon and can feel some positive effects.

Like you I seem to be having good and then very bad days, so hopefully it will level out for both of us.

I had AWFUL side effects on Citalopram - they even came back after 6 weeks for a while but did die down quickly.

The drug seems to take ages to level out BUT IT DOES in the end, I promise!

Stick with is, you will get better!

This is my fourth day on citalopram and I think the sides effects may be starting to kick in. I didnt feel any different the first few days, maybe just a little more dizzy. But ive woken up today feeling anxious, shaky jelly legs and just generally really groggy along with the dizzyness, i was also waking up all night feeling dizzy and confused, my body felt light like i was sort of floating, was really strange.

Does this sound normal? Shouldnt the side effects have started after the first tablet and then died down instead of starting four days in?

Maybe its just me having a bad anxiety day today.
    Last edited by Gotagetthroughthis; 08-08-12 at 13:50.

Hi gottogetthroughthis no, citalopram does not work on a linier way, I had a horrific first week, not too horrific 2nd week and back to the horrors for week 3, it sounds normal to me, and the meds affect poeple n different ways.

As to if your side effects sound normal, YUP..VERY. And they will weaken and pass, Im not there yet but I was badly effected from the start, its your body fighting off the meds as an invasion and alerting you to the fact that somethings wrong, but your body will accept them and return to noraml, then better than normal.

People on here are really great and supportive, keep us updated and voice any concerns you have, we are all in the same boat together and I for one have sea sickness!

Thanks Iggy.

Yea it doesnt seem like many people manage to go through the citalopram journey problem free. I thought I may be a lucky one with no side effects.

Was hopeing I might be feeling better as im due to go back to work on Monday, but its looking like ill be worse before I get better.

When did you start to feel the good effects of the drug?

Sorry to dissapoint matey but I havent yet and Im on day 29 today, but the side effects have hit me super hard alot worse than yours sound, generally people say give it 2 weeks for the side effects and the cit should be working at full strength between 4 and 6 weeks, its a long journey but stay on track your at least a quarter of the way to full strength mode.

Just go with the flow and its onwards and upwards.

Do you have kids to look after?

---------- Post added at 15:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:57 ----------

Day 29

ok blogging time for me and my daily insight into the struggle with citalopram. It was a bit naughty of my side effects to show themselves this morning when I woke up, I thought I had managed to beat them off in the morning but there they were dancing around looking for attention. Outrageous!

My mother in law came round this afternoon for a couple of hours and I had a good chat with her, that was nice.

I am at the point now where, if Im distracted and occupied then I feel more or less ok, its if my mind isnt otherwise engaged it seems to naturally settle on how im feeling, which when further investigation takes place is pretty shit, lol.

I was messaging a great guy off this forum, Mick, on facebook this morning. His journey seems very similar to mine in how badly the side effects have hit and he offers me alot of comfort and reassurance as he is 100% better now and starting to taper off, he told me that if Im still having side effects then its my body still not accepting the drug and it needs to pass through the blood brain barrier and then I will be in business.

I found that very reassuring and had a good old cry about it. Tonight I start week five and a new strip of Cit, cant wait until Ive finished it.

My mother in law wants me and hubby to go out for a meal tomorrow night, locally, I was going to ring the drs and ask for some diazepam so I could go along but my hubby really doesnt want me to take any. He thinks that taking another drug to counter the side effects of this one is a step too far and Im afraid of the diaz myself as I have a very addictive personality.

So I have said that I will try to come out but no one is to be surprised if I have to turn back and come home. It could go either way to be honest, it may be that the conversation will be a good distraction and allow me to rest or I could get to the top of the street and come wailing home, either way, I will try.

Im also gonna make tea tonight, burritos, and I make a mean burrito, so listing things I can now do which overwhelmed me in the past couple of weeks, we have...

1) having a bath (crazy but it did scare me)
    2) leaving the house (can now easily do the corner shop)
    3) getting up in the morning
    4) washing the pots and other light housework.
    5) making dinner

and things Im still a bit scared of doing are

1) giving my son a bath
    2) taking him to bed
    3) walking to the main shops and buying stuff (although have done this twice now)
    4) taking my son to/picking up from nursery

I have decided to go out every other day to the local high street, even if its hard just to try to overcome the feeling of never being able to leave the house.

Its my husbands birthday on Friday and Im afraid it wont be a great one for him but tomorrow I want to go and buy a card and maybe a small pressie so thats my mission.

Please let me make it!!!!

Thanks Iggy, Na know kids to look after luckily.

Hopefully you have been through the worst of it and can start to come out the other side now.

Arrrgggghhhh I hated Citalopram! I remember the start up part that well I won't take it ever again even though it got me better 3 times over the past 10 years. I'm under a gang of new doctors now though and they don't like giving you anything to help with the side effects so I've been stuck on Mirtazapine for almost 5 months and though I know it's never going to work for me now, I'm just too chicken to ask for the Citalopram back. I've been today and asked if there is anything else but apparently I can only have other type sof antidepressents via a councillor who they will refer me to if my last 4 CBT sessions don't work! Hope you feel miles better soon though and happy Many returns to your hubby (:

Karen its a nightmare, lol! anf trust me I wont be coming off them in a hurry, not if Im even slightly suspicious that I may have to start them again, ever!

wow they are powerful and I think Im ultra sensitive to them too, but im on the rollercoaster now so Im holding on tight and closing my eyes and waiting for the ride to stop. Its good to hear from people that they do work in the end, I wish they could have just knocked me out cold for 2 months until they kicked in, but what doesnt kill us makes us stronger eh?

I am on day 21 and today I go to see the nurse .. Scared what she's going to say but know I need to get better had some rocky days this week with crying and just feeling depressed but a lot better the past 2 days. Can anyone tell me if you drink alcohol does it make you feel worse again. Going on holiday with my hubby and am a bit scared about having alcohol

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information