Thread: Fluoxetine

Question Fluoxetine

Hello,

Recently I started the medication Fluoxetine. I am about 2 weeks in and I have noticed that I am having a elevated heart rate (not out of control but still a little racy) also I have been having some mild chest pains. I call my doctor who prescribed the medication and was told to stop it and wait a week to see if the pains go away. I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same side effects with this medication. I hate to stop it because it seems to have made my mood a lot more stable but I don't like the feelings I am getting in my chest.

Re: Fluoxetine

Hi

I moved this to the Prozac forum for you

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi there,
    I am about 3 weeks in and have definitely noticed the racy heart thing, especially when I first wake up. This morning my heart was at 140bpm until I calmed down a little and dropped to 100. (100bpm is my panic-norm )
    My doctor seems to think its part of the side effects and should sort itself out, however, I don't get any chest pains unless I convince myself I am having chest pains.
    So, I think if you were getting actual chest pains it is probably best to try something else. I've never heard of prozac giving anyone an actual heart attack, but if the side effects are intolerable, I'd take your doc's advice

I had an elevated heart rate - particularly in the morning - for 2-3 weeks around weeks 3-4 of taking Prozac. Chest tightness was a problem too. I stuck at it and it went away around week 5-6. It's now completely gone and the medication has improved my mood dramatically. I feel like a normal person again. I would always listen to my doctor, but in my experience if you can ride out the side effects then the benefits can be wonderful.

Thread Information