Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stopping Propranolol advice

Stopping Propranolol advice

Are there any side effects to stopping Propranolol ? Should i stop by gradually reducing dose ? Is it ok to take propranolol as and when needed ? I would appreciate advice from anyone with experience of coming off Propranolol.

Re: Stopping Propranolol advice

I would not stop any medication without checking with your GP and getting professional advice.

BobbyDog

It says in the leaflet to never stop taking, as far as I am aware you need to reduce slowly or it can cause a heart attack.

Unhappy Re: Stopping Propranolol advice

ho my gosh never knew that stopping proranolol can give you heart attact, ive been on 80mg aday for about 8 weeks now and they have been a life saver for me and the pysical symptoms of anxiety, am feeling very worried now .

I was on 120mg/day until very recently....... it was then cut to zero overnight with no problems.

I have never heard of it causing a heart attack !!

Some people just take it as and when so I don't think stopping it will be a problem.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks for replies, i have read about people having propranolol to take as and when they feel they need it, so dont understand why in leaflet it says not to stop taking. I will go to doctors an see if im ok to stop propranolol now or whether i should reduce dose gradually before stopping. Im taking 40mg a day, i think the tablets can be halved.

Im going to the doctors today to see if im ok to reduce/stop propranolol.

---------- Post added at 11:29 ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 ----------

Iv seen the doctor and have had propranolol reduced from 40mg once a day to 10mg 3 times a day. I can take this an see how i get on and then if im ok reduce to 2 tablets a day and then try just 1 a day.

It says in the leaflet if stopped rapidly it can cause a heart attack or death!!! They probably mean if you take it every day though like I do, not if it's an as and when basis. x

Wow - well that will scare you thinkingimmad !

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information