Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stopping Propranolol advice

Re: Stopping Propranolol advice

Reading the leaflet sacred me. After 3 months of taking propranolol 40mg once a day iv now reduced dose to 30mg (10mg 3 times a day) i hope i can cope with lower dose. I would like to be able to completely come off propranolol eventually.

Yeah same here Nathan246. One day I hope I can come off Propranolol, I can dream at least lol, I wish you all the best for coming off it x

think the leaflet means if you take propanlol for high blood pressure you shoulnt stop suddenly but doesnt mean for anxiety

Joy

As it affects the heart rhythm I should imagine it refers to that more than anything else. My GP confirmed this yesterday, that by just stopping propranolol it can effect the electrical activity in the heart thus should be stopped slowly. x

this has scared me, just gone on 80mg a day :s

I have cut down from 40mg to 20mg per day now and have been on this for a week.

I think providing you're taking lowish doses, eg 40mg or less, propranolol is a pretty safe drug.

I've been taking propranolol for over 7 years, and its helped me alot with the physical aspect of anxiety (trembling etc). I think I'm quite sensitive to propranolol because I get huge benefit from a very low dose, I take 5mg (half a 10mg pill) per day. Since I've been taking it for so long I've experimented with all different doseages, up to about 80mg per day, and its never been a case of, the more I take the more it helps, there seems to be an optimum dosage and going above this wont necessarily make difference (for anxiety anyway).

I'm completely physically dependant on propranolol and I really want to get off it, but without it I'm a complete nervous wreck, and all my attempts to get off this stuff have failed so far. I'm currently trying to reduce my dosage and go days without, but its not going well :(

Hi, sorry to hear things are not going well for you, i have been completely off propranolol for 7 weeks now and have been doing well so far. Best wishes to you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information