Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beta Blockers for my migraines

Beta Blockers for my migraines

Hi all,

I have just been prescribed beta-blockes to help reduce my migraines. I did use to take another pill everynight to prevent my migraines, but you are not allowed to drink with these pills, and although I am not a hard drinker its nice to have a glass of wine etc at the weekend. Plus they increased your appetite and I have felt I am putting on weight since taking these meds.

Anyway I am just not sure about taking beta-blockers.[:0]

Can anyone reassure me that they are ok to take and that there are not any bad side affects with them. I had a bad experience with some medications last year and I'm just a bit catious with new meds.

sadie

Hiya Sadie,

I personally haven't taken Beta Blockers (although I was prescribed them) and although I am no doctor/medical professional I think they are pretty safe. DO NOT take them if you have asthma. Like just about everything I suppose some people will experience side effects (though as I said I am no doctor) but it is just your anxiety making you worry about side effects (if u are anything like me!)
    Migraines are truly horrible Sadie so they must be worth a bash

I have taken them and they are fine - no side effects for me

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

hi sadie,there shouldnt really be any problems,taking beta blockers,and they will certainly help,with the migrains! they will slow your heart rate a little,which is good...and also lower your blood pressure a little,which is probably why the doctor prescribed them...take them matey...no problems!

best wishes...bryan.

Hi guys,

I have just read the leaflet with the beta blockers and its said not to take them if you experience m,issed heart beats and I think that I do. Well there are irregular at times...what should I do ?

Please offer advice.

sadie

hi sadie,your doctor has your entire medical record,on his/her pc,so no problems there!
    these leaflets are written for insurance reasons,as it quite common in the states to sue pharmaceutical companies if you develope a spot on your bum etc,after taking medication.
    beta blockers are safe,and will help with your migraine,but they wont help if you dont take the cap off the bottle!
    if meg sees this post,ime sure she will put your mind at rest....best wishes....bryan.

Sadie

I had one beta blocker once and ended up in hospital cos the doc didn't bother checking that I was asthmatic!! bad idea.

Please check everything with him before taking them - ask him about the missed heart beats etc. Best be safe eh?

Nicola

Thanks Nicola and Bryan,

I will need to wait until next week to ask my doctor about the pills. I have had a ecg this year which came back normal and I was having these sensations before the test was done so surely it would have picked up on irregular heart beats etc???

I just dont want to give myself anymore worry...Im bad enough at times as it is.

Thanks for your help.

sadie

hi sadie,when i advised you,i based it on the fact that ive remembered all the tests youve had...the ECG would have picked up previous,and present problems with your heart,but you were given the all clear!

your doctor has the results of those tests,on his/her computer,and wot happened to nic,was inexcusable,and her doctor should have been reprimanded.

i know how you worry! so whatever i say now,you wont take the beta blockers until youve checked again with the doctor.

in the meantime,if you get a migraine,take a painkiller,that your happy with...lay on the bed in a darkened room,put a damp cold cloth on your forehead..close your eyes,and concentrate on your breathing,deap breathing four in..six out,will help.

best wishes....bryan.

Bryan,

You know me too well. I am every doctors nightmare...I go asking for help and when I get it I dont take the advice. I am just so scared of the consequences of taking medicine that will do me more harm than good!! ( I know that must sound silly)

I know you will be right and that the pills will probably be helpful but I think I will just check anyway. As for the migraines, I havent had one this week so far (fingers crossed) so thats been a bonus.

Anyway, matey hows things with you? I hope you are doing ok and enjoying your new house.

Speak to you soon.

sadie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information