Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beta Blockers for my migraines

Bryan - he was a locum, not my usual doctor but I agree he should have checked.

Also, I am allergic to Penicillin and another doc (just last year) gave me some for a throat infection. God job I read the leaflet eh? I think they are trying to kill me off - lol

Nicola

hi nic,next time you go to the doctor,write down any allergies you have in bold black capitals,and show it,not only to the doctor,but to the pharmacist,as well,best be safe matey.

sadie,i got the place in lincoln,on a rent to buy scheme,it was a mistake,as moving on my own,was too lonely...so,although ime now being taken to court for breach of contract,at least ime near my girls.

best wishes...bryan.

Bryan,

Its good your near your girls...the rest will sort itself out..try and not worry about it. You are a good person so things will be ok.

Just thought I would let you know I took a beta blocker last night, not because of a migraine but due to palpitations. I was at a bithday party last night and only had 2 drinks and just about the end of the night I felt my heart racing, I was dizzy and felt like I was going to pass out. I felt I had no option....so I took one and my heart settled down.

One part of me feels releived because I just feel so tired of the constant symptoms but on the other hand I feel annoyed with myself because I have coped with palpitations before without taking a beta blocker, so why now!!!!

I seemed to have sliped back into panic mode again over these last few weeks...and although 95% believes it is just a 'blip' there is that other 5% that thinks 'what if' now there is something wrong with your heart due to this constant worry worry worry!!!

I havent seen my Kinesiologist for 4 weeks now and to be honest I always feel better once I have had a session...so maybe after my appt next week I will feel a bit less stressed out.

Anyway thanks for the help again.

Take care

sadie

sadie,you have come such a long way over the past months,but i think you will always have these :little blips:the important thing is how you handle them,the more you COPE,the less frequent they will become!

heart problems dont happen overnight,and as youve had a clear ECG,in the past couple of years,and bearing in mind your age,and the fact that you see a doctor at least once a year,so you get your blood pressure checked,the only improvements you can make is regular exercise,more relaxation sessions,increase your water intake,and last but not least,check your diet,make sure your eating,plenty of green veg,fish,liver,spinnach,and fresh fruit....easier said than done!!

your doing sooo well,keep it up matey......bryan.

Bryan

Thanks so much for your help...you always make good sense and offer good practical advice. Relaxation is definetly something I need to improve on and maybe eat more veg, fruit etc....I will do my best.

Take care

sadie

thanks sadie,

try this,its really tasty!!

if your doing a meal(no sadie,not a takeaway),just a few minutes before its ready,put a wok on medium heat,after 20secs add a tablespoon of olive oil...chop up some spinach...add to wok,and stirfry,for about three minutes...add to your meal...it tastes amazing,and is sooo good for the nervous system.

ready steady cook,here i come.....bryan.

Bryan

Whats a wok???

Just kiding...will give the spinach thing a go, I never knew it would be good for the nervous system.

I havent taken another beta blocker yet because I actually felt my heart rate go really slow. I know it does decrease a bit but I felt quite dizzy and light headed at one point. Wat do you think?

sadie

Sadie,

Betablockers are given to people when they're in a acute anxiety state with a racing hearts all the time and most of these people have palpitations which are usually ectopic beats and not a dysrhythmia ( we've all been there) so betablockers are fine.

However, if you're feeling dizzy and your heart went very slow - under 55 bpm then you're taking too much - so stop or reduce.

For your migraine have you bene referred to a specilaist migraine clinic ? If not ask for this to happen.
    You may want to try some extra Vit E which may help a bit as it keeps the blood a bit thinner and easier to whoosh round.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

Hi Meg,

Do you think its best for me to not take the beta blockers then? I had to get off the migraine pills I was on as I felt it was really increasing my appetite and I have been feeling like I have been putting on weight recently.

Will taking Vit E help with the migraines?

I havent been offered to visit a migraine clinic, I dont think there is one close to me. I wish there was something else for me to take except beta blockers as I dont want to rely on them for my helping me cope when my heart races instead of for my migraines.

Hope your well.

sadie

Hi Meg,

I have decided to stop taking the beta blockers as I have felt really crappy on them. Last night and today in work I felt like I was going to pass out. I have never fainted in my life but I honestly thought I was going to today. The room was spinning and I felt really weird in my chest area...I felt like my heart would stop. I checked my pulse and it was beating really quite slow for me! I dont know exactly but I think it was about 50-55 beats at one point.

I will go back to the doctors to see what else I can take for my migraines as I dont think the beta blockers are the answer.

sadie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information