Thread: Going from 30 to 45mg, do you think this will work?

Going from 30 to 45mg, do you think this will work?

I reported to my doctor that after 6-7 weeks on 30mg I can't say I am doing any better than before. He now told me to increase to 45mg. I am sceptical that this will make any difference. Do you think that this will make a difference? I rather assume that mirtazapin isn't working for me at all no matter how much I take.

I also worry what if increasing the dosage will increase side effects?
    I know for example that citalopram can cause dangerous heart rhythm disorders in higher dosages which is why warnings have been put up. What if mirtazapin can also have dangerous side effects in higher dosages? 45mg is pretty high.

Re: Going from 30 to 45mg, do you think this will work?

Hi Alec, I've gone up from 30mg to 45mg without any side effects at all but to be honest going up's not helped me at all but you never know, every one is different. My friend was on Mirtazapine and once he upped to 45mg he got a lot better !!! Fingers crossed for you (:

Hi Alecc I have been taking 45mg mirtazapine for four years now. I have found it very beneficial in relieving my severe depression. I would certainly try 45mg as it will not be more sedating less so than the lower doses. As far as I know it is perfectly safe in higher doses. In the UK people are usually prescribed 45mg but in the US higher doses have been reported. It might be your low mood that is putting you off trying 45mg you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. EJ

Hi folks!

I just dont know what to expect. I mean how can I even tell if it's working?
    For example if without antidepressant I'd feel very depressed on a certain day and with antidepressant I feel only slightly depressed on the same day then how shall I be able to tell if there is a difference?
    I can say that I certainly haven't changed. I haven't turned into a non-depressed, optimistic, outgoing person. I dont know if it is even realistic to expect such a change but I hoped that maybe taking an antidepressant would change you a bit but obviously it does not. I just thought this cause I read about prozac that when it came out there was a huge hype and even people who didn't struggle with depression abused it cause it supposedly changed people from introverted to extroverted. I thought maybe taking an antidepressant would have some sort of positive change but now I think that antidepressants maybe only make you a little less depressed but you still stay in the category of depressed.

Hi Alecc - that's a very interesting observation regarding ADs. Although mirt works very well for some, it seems to lack the oomph of the SSRIs. Have you tried anything else? Perhaps a different AD would suit you better.

I'm not getting much out of mirt at the moment either. Any beneficial effects (and they were mild) seem to have worn off and all it is good for now is sleep.... but I suppose that's a bonus in my current predicament.

Take care.
    Belle x

Hi Alec,

Don't worry about going up to 45 mg per day. It's the usual maximum in Australia, but my doctor told me some people are taking 60 mg and even 90 mg per day.

Unlike many antidepressants, mirtazapine is not associated with heart rhythm disorders as a side effect. Check the leaflet that comes with the medication for the most common side effects, although they may be buried in a list somewhere. For example, if I take a greater than usual dose close to bedtime, I will have an hour or so of restless leg movements or myoclonic jerks - where the muscles in part or the whole of my body seem to have a series of electric-shock-like jolts. It's totally predictable and harmless, so all I can do is think "Lie back, and enjoy the show".

Hi Alecc, I to have been on Mirtazapine 30 mg was at the Doc yesterday told her was a bit up and down on this dosage, she upped my dosage to 45 mg so will have to see how it goes, have a further appointment in 4 weeks

Thread Information