Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I find a good therapist?

How do I find a good therapist?

I appreciate most of you will say its a trial and error thing, but I need more than that.
    Trial and error is expensive. Not only but each new trial only delays the start of the treatment and I am at my witts end here.
    I have tried 2 therapists in London already.
    First one made a really bad impression. Without exaggerating one bit, he looked quite dodgy, smelled heavily of tobacco and the location was pretty bad, made me feel unsafe. I did not make it inside the building. I couldn't stop crying on my way home as I have put so much hope in starting therapy and felt let down (I was also asked to pay in advance of the session, by PayPal, which I did and then regretted it).

The second therapist was actually a psychiatrist (which I feel it is quite important to me - knowing that the person working with me on getting me better has been through med school and understands and can also explain to me the whole thoughts-symptoms process). Plus, I am sorry to say this, but I could not trust everything that I am and hope to become to someone who has been an accountant for 20 years and then decided to do a CBT course. I don't think they would have any "authority" over my mind?! Does this make sense?

Anyway, the problem here was that from the first 20 min she mentioned I should go back on anti depressants "for a while". I asked how long that while means and she said about a year. I was soo frustrated by her approach, I went there to start CBT not another 9 year treatment with Sertraline. If only I had not mentioned to her that I have been on Zoloft for 9 years and made such a big effort to come off last year.

I really am in a very bad moment now. I am crying a lot and am very very sad. I feel DESPERATE and I feel like I need help, guidance and support but am afraid to start looking for another therapist.

I thought I found a practice on Harley street but the problem there is they want to see you weekly and I dont think I can do that. I mean I would be getting some relief on one hand and then some serious financial pressure on the other.

Does anyone have any suggestions please? I guess what I am asking, more or less, is: can you point me to a good therapist in London?

Thank you all

Re: How do I find a good therapist?

I'm not London based so am not sure about therapists in your area. Make sure any therapist you see is accredited and if you can get a personal recommendation from someone who has used them this is helpful. However, everyone is different and it may take a few tries to find the right therapist as you have already discovered.

No Panic run a group CBT programme or one to one mentoring over the telephone

Telephone Recovery Group Waiting List . . . .
    . . . . There is currently NO WAITING list so if you would like to take part in a Telephone Recovery group contact Head office on 01952 680460. We are also looking for MEMBERS who wish to take part in telephone Recovery for O.C.D. UPDATED APRIL

It may be worth a try? The very best of luck in finding a therapist you can work and make progress with.

The best I know of is Paul Salkovskis but I have no idea if he is currently taking in new patients.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thank you both so much for your quick replies, I thought people will tell me off for asking for recommendation

I will google Paul Salkovskis right away and am on the No Panic website now. Not a big fan of the "over telephone" thing, not sure why though as I have never tried it.

I know Paul personally so if you do contact him tell him Nicola from No More Panic recommended him

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Nicola,

Thank you so much for this, of course I will.
    I am reading about him now and am very impressed. However, he seems to be an extremely busy person, do you know if he is still seing patients at all?
    I cant find any direct contact info at all, but I will keep digging.

I have emailed him at an email address I had so I will let you know if he replies

You are very very kind, thank you so much for this, please let me know either way.
    Thanks again Nicola!

You are welcome

I have a reply from Paul so will PM you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information