Thread: Anxiety causing its own symptoms

Anxiety causing its own symptoms

I was just wondering, if anyone else had experiences like this. It seems like wherever my mind is worried about at the time, I start to experience symptoms there! For instance, when I thought I had ALS -- I had absolutely non-stop twitching everywhere, and even clinical weakness. Now that I am sure I don't have ALS I have literally no twitching, and the weakness has subsided. When I was afraid I was having heart problems, I experienced a lot of pain around my chest, and even difficulty breathing, which has since also subsided! Is there an explanation as to why this happens? Thanks for the read.

Re: Anxiety causing its own symptoms

I really wish I had an answer to this. Everyone says to me my brain is trying to trick me into thinking I have a heart problem and causes all these symptoms. If only I could know that was true, it would be sooo much easier.
    But how? I can't see how that would be possible?! They say the brain is such a powerful thing, I dont think we know that much about it yet.

When I was around 6-7 years old a friend of mine got hospitalised with appendicitis. I remember kids on the street talking about how the appendix can break inside you if there is an infection and then that infection would spread through your body and you would die.

Anyway, since that day, I swear I had appendicitis symptoms for years! I used to get the nausea, tummy pains, leg pains, all of it. My parents took me to the ER a few times as I was literally crying my eyes out that I was going to die of peritonitis.

Needless to say I still have my appendix.

What is sad is that no one in my family realised that there was actually something wrong in my head, not in my tummy:( If they only knew what buttons to push then...

Re: Anxiety causing its own symptoms

I know man, I'm sorry you have to go through the terrible thing we call hypochondria. It's really a curse, and each time I find something that I'm sure I have, for some reason I tell myself, every time in the past I've been okay, but this time, there are symptoms that can't be cause by anxiety, but it seems like every time there are. I've actually considered having my appendix removed before just because I didn't want to get appendicitis.

Thread Information