Thread: Nervous breakdown, started fluoxetine

Nervous breakdown, started fluoxetine

Hi, I had a breakdown about 2 months ago and I though I was going crazy. My doctor explained that I had severe anxiety, and that I was not going crazy, it was just my body sending signals to my brain that I was very ill. This summer has been so hard for me, and it is breaking my heart that I am not functioning well as a mother for my children.
    I started taking 10 mg of fluoxetine a month ago. This dosage has worked well for me before (for PMS), but now I am not sure if I am on the right medication or the right dosage. I was very anxious for the first two weeks, and the anxiety has gradually diminished. But I still feel uneasy, especially in the mornings, and today I suddenly became very depressed, it lasted for about an hour and was really intense. I am still scared that I will never get well. Sometimes I feel so intensely lonely and desperate.

Sending you all a hug

Hi Piano

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Nervous breakdown, started fluoxetine

hi piano, your doctor is right you are not going mad, and its still early days on your meds, but even a little improvement is a good sign.

take it eay one day at a time, and good luck xx

to nmp, you will get lots of support here xx

Dear pinkdove, thank you so much for your support

It is hard to believe that things will improve when you feel so damaged but with willing you will improve. Simple tasks may feel too much but just do 'em anyway and know you did it each time and nothing bad happened! This will fix you more than anything. The worst habit to gain is avoidance behavior, this is when you believe places, people and situations are so scary that you simply avoid and do nothing, this will make things worse. Hang on to the fact that you will get better, don't fight it and keep going.

Thank you!!! You know, one of my biggest fears is that I fear I will never get better. But I have seen slight improvement during the last five weeks on fluoxetine, so it must be working, don't you think? And you are so right about feeling damaged, I seriously thought my brain was wrecked when I was at my worst!

yes i felt the same as you when i had my breakdown, but you will get there, it takes time, but i have, and you will too xx

Thank you, that really helps to hear

Thread Information